6.35mm female to 3.5mm male cable
Aug 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lemon2

Head-Fier
Hello

I was wondering if someone could help me look for a cable, I don't really know what sites might sell them.

I need a 6.35mm female to 3.5mm male cable, as short and cheap as possible, and on sale in the UK.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Sennheiser includes one with a lot of their cans, you can probably get one of them from their shop.

Not worrying about branding, they are available just about anywhere, but up to a certain point, they are pretty flimsy and unreliable.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 17
B&H sells them for $8.

You can also just get an adaptor from anywhere for about $2.  There is a notable build quality difference though.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 17
You should be able to buy a plug adapter locally and not bother with shipping and handling charges.  However, if you are planning to use this with a portable amplifier or media player, I advise going with a cable adapter (Grado or Sennheiser) or you may damage your amplifier or player with all that weight.  I have the Grado one that I use with my SR325is, it is indeed very sturdy and helps keep from putting too much strain one your equipments' mini jack.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 17
You should be able to buy a plug adapter locally and not bother with shipping and handling charges.  However, if you are planning to use this with a portable amplifier or media player, I advise going with a cable adapter (Grado or Sennheiser) or you may damage your amplifier or player with all that weight.  I have the Grado one that I use with my SR325is, it is indeed very sturdy and helps keep from putting too much strain one your equipments' mini jack.

The Senn one is great too. I actually used it to demo Grados. It's not too long really, just enough to keep it from killing jacks from the weight. I have one like the one you linked to and used it with my Grados on my laptop, the jack is fine, but the plug itself on the adapter bent from the weight of the cable on it.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 17
The one you chose should be fine as long as you're careful not to demolish a flimsy jack on something with it. Try to give the cable some support so all of the weight isn't hanging on there.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 17
From a technical standpoint a solid all metal one is the best.  No wire, shortest signal paths, just a piece of metal inside connecting up each connection.  Just a $5 adaptor plug will do the job.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
The one you chose should be fine as long as you're careful not to demolish a flimsy jack on something with it. Try to give the cable some support so all of the weight isn't hanging on there.

I will bare that in mind. I think it would be in my soundcard with the cable trailing over things.

Quote:
From a technical standpoint a solid all metal one is the best. No wire, shortest signal paths, just a piece of metal inside connecting up each connection. Just a $5 adaptor plug will do the job.

Which is basically what I have bought. That is good.

If I ever get to the Senn store I will ask there, but otherwise I will stick with the plug I bought.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
If you use the adapter you linked to portable, or with a cable hanging unsupported from it, it will damage your 3.5 mm connector within a short time.
These are not recommended.
Such an adapter going the opposite direction is OK, because the bigger plug and connector will take the load, and can take it.
From 6.3 mm female to 3.5 mm male, you really should get a flexible adapter having a short piece of cable between the ends, to avoid damaging your connector.
The minimum flex will protect your 3.5 mm connector from bad physical loads.

Ok so I really do need a cable.

I am really struggling to find a good cable like this in the uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back