5W Metal Film Resistor for Szekeres?
Feb 15, 2005 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rcgrant

Head-Fier
The Szekeres schematic calls for a 5W metal film resistor. I suspect no such thing actually exists, so what should I use here? Metal film resistors with lower power ratings in parallel? Wirewound resistors?

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Metal Oxide / MOX is IMO a good subsitute for metal film for higher power requirements.

I would guess 5 1W compliant resistors in parallel will work too, but I'm unsure at what happens if just one resistor is slightly lower in resistance (with-in specs) and just how much hotter it will run than the other resistors.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Try kiwame 5w carbon resistors
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks--I found a metal oxide resistor with the right specifications.

Where are the Kiwame resistors available, besides Parts Connexion? They're more expensive than what I'm looking for now but I'll keep them in mind for future projects.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi,

Wow wee, those resistors are nice, Mpemba Effect. Me wanna.

Wirewounds are perfectly fine. I used silicon filled one. I tried Radio Shack one ... Ceramic type. They are both pretty good.

Non-Inductive wirewounds are also fine. Only problem is that they cost lots. Quality improvement is pretty subtle ... Might not worth that much ...

Just for notes, I strongly believe you will probably need the resistor rated around 10W. My 5W Silicon filled WWs are pretty hot. (Can't dissipate enough heat, methink.) I used to use 25W METAL CLAD WW which was much less burning hot.

Tomo

P.S. I used to use Szekeres amp for my foot warmer.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcgrant
Thanks--I found a metal oxide resistor with the right specifications.

Where are the Kiwame resistors available, besides Parts Connexion? They're more expensive than what I'm looking for now but I'll keep them in mind for future projects.

If you insist on using resistors then nice ones are power film resistors like the Caddock MP series resistors that can mount onto To-220 heatsinks. These are available from Percy Audio as well.
Also, Percy Audio has 50W 1% resistors. They're about the same price but can handle much higher power if heatsinked properly. These resistors can be bolted to the case instead of heatsinks for heat dissipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back