5th Gen. Ipod (finally)
Oct 13, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #241 of 260
Why does that make sense? So people can program their stupid universal remotes to work with the dock or iMac?

I think it's a bad idea. IR sucks. At least with RF you can walk around, leave the room, etc and still control what's playing.

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #243 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
Did they have to make the remote ir insted of rf, which is not exactly cutting edge technology?

Cheap chinese IR remote = cheaper than cheap chinese RF remote. Hence they used IR
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, i agree about the thing about the res of the video being so high... wonder if the iPod gets hot during video playback then??

Also why would you want to control the music if you're not in the room? Needless wankery aside haha

But, yeah, apple once again have a huge What-global-hit on their hands again, wonder what the ipod owners think about the shorter and shorter shelflives of their current ipods hehe.

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #244 of 260
As far as I know, the remote is for the video interface which the dock/remote combo is used for- to watch and control media on the tv. I don't believe I saw a just "music" selection included with the "music video", "tv episodes," etc. on the demo TV screenshot. Using the remote in a different room is almost irrelevant in this case since that's not what it was made for. It may be programmed to include that function later on, whether officially or by users.

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #245 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
Why does that make sense? So people can program their stupid universal remotes to work with the dock or iMac?

I think it's a bad idea. IR sucks. At least with RF you can walk around, leave the room, etc and still control what's playing.

I hate having multiple remotes. Having one remote for everything is so much more convenient. Using IR allows most learning home theatre remotes to also control the dock or iMac. If they went with RF, this wouldn't be possible (except with some of the most expensive aftermarket remotes). IR is just the standard for home audio/home theatre gear. You might as well complain about almost every TV and home theatre receiver out there. Even the higher end home theatre receivers have gone with dual zone IR rather than RF. The Apple Remote would be a strange, odd man out if it was RF.

Being able to control things from other rooms is convenient, but apart from raising/lowering the volume, with most of the Front Row UI, you have to actually be able to see the display anyway.

People who really need multi-room control always have the option of getting an RF universal remote with an RF-to-IR transmitter.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #246 of 260
Hopefully by next week, I can add to the first page any early reviews that are done for the 5 gen ipod. I already have the ilounge one on there. If you see any reviews for it, let me know.

-Chris

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #248 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I hate having multiple remotes. Having one remote for everything is so much more convenient. Using IR allows most learning home theatre remotes to also control the dock or iMac. If they went with RF, this wouldn't be possible (except with some of the most expensive aftermarket remotes). IR is just the standard for home audio/home theatre gear. You might as well complain about almost every TV and home theatre receiver out there. Even the higher end home theatre receivers have gone with dual zone IR rather than RF. The Apple Remote would be a strange, odd man out if it was RF.

Being able to control things from other rooms is convenient, but apart from raising/lowering the volume, with most of the Front Row UI, you have to actually be able to see the display anyway.

People who really need multi-room control always have the option of getting an RF universal remote with an RF-to-IR transmitter.

Yeah, but the functions of the remote are so small anyway, what's the point of programming a uni. remote for it?

I understand the point of having IR remotes for home theater, etc.. and yes they work fine. I would just like to have the freedom of adjusting the volume, skipping tracks, or play/pause music when I leave the room, like I did when I had the iJet remote for my now sold 60GB photo.

I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a RF universal remote with a RF-IR transmitter.. how does that work?

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #250 of 260
I am looking for more reviews that should come out this week, or first hand experience after getting the new ipod. I can then add that info. to the front page as a 5th Gen Ipod, source.

Reviews and First hand, Pics

Thanks

-Chris

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #251 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginge
Can these Gen. 5 players bookmark mp3 files? That is a big issue for me.

Old iPods can bookmark MP3 files (since iTunes 5).

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #253 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
I was thinking whether or not I could put my PSP videos on the new pods They're all MP4, not AAC. 'Cept they're 16:9 ratio, so no?

You mean the audio? I don't believe there's any AAC video.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #255 of 260
Is the apple store the only place you can currently buy them. I see apple is shipping out the 30 gig models but not the 60 gig models. That is what I see on the ilounge site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back