5gb ipod problem ..
Aug 4, 2003 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Serpentine

New Head-Fier
I just bought a 5gb ipod a few weeks ago off someone or other, and, well, it worked perfectly up until a couple days ago ...

All of a sudden, the scroll wheel lost sensitivty, and eventually (After just a couple more minutes) stopped working completely. I've removed it to see if there were any obvious problem behind it, but not, it seems to be in as-normal condition back there. Does anyone know how to fix this? Can it be? Or .. did I just waste money I couldn't afford? sigh (everything but the wheel still works a charm .. so I guess I can still load up playlists and whatnot .. but no changing volumes, or anything else, damnit .. sigh ... this depresses me)

Thanks in advance

-Serp

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Try resetting it by holding down the "play" and "menu" buttons together for a few seconds. If that doesn't held, you can try wiping it clean in Ephpod... hopefully the problem is software!

Good luck!

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 6
I've already done both of those things =\

I've also been advised to try replacing the grease under the scroll wheel .. but don't know what good that would do .. sigh ...

This is an annoyance. =\

Hell, I'd settle for not being able to skip tracks, and moving the scroll wheel functions to the left and right buttons .. if that can be done =\

-Serp

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I had my first gen on a beach and had to remove the disk to get rid of a couple pebbles of sand (which kept the disk from working). Doesn't sound like your issue though.

With the disk removed can you manipulate the controllers (that are usually underneath) with your fingers or are those dead?

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 6
You could get a remote and control everything with that.

And I've heard that re-greasing can make a big difference- even with scroll wheels that aren't responding. You've got nothing to lose by trying it...

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 6
The controllers seem dead (those little white plastic stubs) but .. I'm not certain those alone, moved by hand, would ever scroll the wheel .. though .. I could be dead wrong.

.. and I have a controller .. but it seems dead, sigh, guess I need another =p

-Serp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back