5G Video case
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got my 5G video back, and am now considering getting a better case.

I've already ordered a BSE to protect the scratch-tastic chrome backing, but want to replace my current cheapo silicone skin with something better.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a Griffin reflect on ebay because its cheap, looks good and has a better backing to stick my iBasso T4 down. However, my main concern is screen legibility thanks to the reflective coating on the case.

I could get one of those cheap plastic hard cases, but they break very easily, and I don't want to have to constantly replace cases. I guess the Griffin iClear might be an option, but being the picky bugger I am I want something that looks cool as well.......which leads to the iSkin Evo 3. However, it is rather expensive....

So, any suggestions?

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 15
Too bulky
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I just ordered some 4-5 different Griffin ipod 5G cases for $3 a piece from one of the Ebay sellers. Seems like he's got loads of griffin discontinued items for really cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

I think one of them is the reflective plastic type you mentioned.
YoTank is also really cheap for $15 a piece!

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 15
^There were plenty of interesting cheap cases, but damn the sellers for not shipping overseas
frown.gif

Where are you getting that yotank price? It says $65USD on the website!

tkl.hui, I'm only interested in ones with a reasonably hard plastic backing because it makes sticking down the velcor easier. At the moment, the velcro does not stick onto the silicone skin at all.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 15
If you apply the invisible shield or the bestskinsever covering then you may not be able to fit your iPod in a formed case like the Griffin reflect as your iPod dimensions will have changed. Better to go with something flexible like a leather case. I had this problem before and my iPod got stuck and it crinkled the invisible shield. Took forever to get it out without breaking the hard clear case. And this is with it stuck partially in! YMMV.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRockies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you apply the invisible shield or the bestskinsever covering then you may not be able to fit your iPod in a formed case like the Griffin reflect as your iPod dimensions will have changed. Better to go with something flexible like a leather case. I had this problem before and my iPod got stuck and it crinkled the invisible shield. Took forever to get it out without breaking the hard clear case. And this is with it stuck partially in! YMMV.

Like this one? Belkin Graphic Holster Case iPod Classic 5G 6G w/ CLIP - eBay Cases, For iPod, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics. (end time 01-Apr-09 15:01:00 AEDST)

The problem is that I really don't like the feel of leather cases. At the moment, I have a protective sticker on the back which is similar in texture to screen protectors.

The Griffin reflect is looking more and more tempting. Why can't others make something cool looking dammit.

Maybe something like this: Metal Case for Apple iPod 5G Video 60GB 80GB +Clip - eBay Cases, For iPod, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics. (end time 01-Apr-09 09:02:57 AEDST)

EDIT: I think I'll go for this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iSKIN-silicon...3A1|240%3A1318

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 15
I might get that iSkin since its quiet cheap.

Shame they only have White and Pink for the 30GB Video
frown.gif
I'd prefer green or black.

A UK seller had black ones for the 60GB/80GB. I messaged him to see whether he has ones for the 30GB.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like this one? Belkin Graphic Holster Case iPod Classic 5G 6G w/ CLIP - eBay Cases, For iPod, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics. (end time 01-Apr-09 15:01:00 AEDST)

The problem is that I really don't like the feel of leather cases. At the moment, I have a protective sticker on the back which is similar in texture to screen protectors.

The Griffin reflect is looking more and more tempting. Why can't others make something cool looking dammit.

Maybe something like this: Metal Case for Apple iPod 5G Video 60GB 80GB +Clip - eBay Cases, For iPod, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics. (end time 01-Apr-09 09:02:57 AEDST)

EDIT: I think I'll go for this: iSKIN silicone case/skin - VIDEO iPod, NEW ! Aust Stock - eBay For Apple iPod, Cases, MP3 Player Accessories, Electronics. (end time 03-Apr-09 22:39:16 AEDST)

Hmmmm... that iSkin looks like a good possibility when used with the invisible shield or the bestskinever clear cover.

Once installed and dry, the clear cover will not be slippery which is good if you don't want to drop your iPod but difficult when you are trying to make the iPod fit in a tight case that doesn't give much. Leather cases work best when there is a felt-like material inside that won't readily adhere to or grip the clear cover. The foam inside the metal case looks like it should have room to compress and allow the iPod/clear cover to fit. However, the Evo3 iSkin probably will stretch easily around the clear cover and besides it looks cool. Price is right, too.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back