5G Nano SQ - a Good Ending!
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #49 of 50
I presume the difference in DAC does make a difference in SQ.

xplict_concept, you are opening a very nasty can of worms : I cant think of a more hotly debated issue beyond some of the cable threads.

My personal view is that it is about more than the chip, but that in itself can start a flame war. End of the day, you either like the sound of a given player or you dont - simple as that. I'll leave you with the FAQ entry Vinnie put together re the iMod : he knows as much about the internals of the iPod as anyone else, IMO:

ALO Audio » iMod FAQ

Q: Which iPod models to you modify?
A: We only modify the 4th generation, 5th generation, and 5.5 generation iPods.
Please do not ask us about modifying other iPods such as the 6th generation “iPod Classic,” iPhone, Nano, Mini, etc.

Q: Will you ever modify the 6th generation iPods (”iPod Classic”)
A: No – these use what we have found to be an inferior sounding dac and the sound cannot be improved upon. The sound quality of the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G iMods are far superior. If the newest iPods could be improved and were worth the effort to mod, we would have enjoyed offering an iMod for them and the business this would have created for us.

Q: What is the best sounding iMod?
A: We believe that the 5G and 5.5G iMods sound the best, but are closely followed in sound quality by the 4G iMod

Q: Is there any difference in sound quality between the 5G and the 5.5G iMod?
A: No – they sound identical.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 50
I'm also not able to have custom EQ settings on my iPods.
SierraHotel01, have you tried your procedure with an extreme, very bad sounding EQ setting (no highs an no bass)? In case such an extreme EQ setting doesn't work for you anymore, a placebo effect would be likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back