5G iPod & Super.fi 5 Pro
Sep 4, 2006 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

paddington

Head-Fier
Does anyone else find that these phones are so sensitive that you can hear the backround hiss and pops from the iPod (sounds a bit like vinyl before any music starts) or do I have a problem with my iPod/IEMs?

Regards,

Hugh

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 10
You could use a line out setup with a low end Audio Line Out cable. Works great. No hiss at all.

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 10
I use this same combination and dont hear any hiss (and definitley no pops) from my set up. The SF5 Pros are sensitive but your issue sounds like a bad cable, bad pre-amp in your IPOD or perhaps a bad component in the line somewhere.

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 10
When I first picked up the UE Super.fi 5 Pro I was annoyed by the background hiss with my iPod 5g. I started using my wife's old iPod mini which paired with the UE Super.fi 5 Pros has virtually no hiss.

This was a poor solution as I had an expensive device being wasted. On a whim I loaded Rockbox on my 5g. This requires some reading before attempting and is not for the faint of heart, however the results were stellar. There is virtually no hiss with Rockbox and the functionality is impressive!

I now love the UE Super.fi 5 Pro/iPod 5g combo.

The attenuator is indeed a solution, however it does seem to remove some of the character/bandwidth of the sound. I was not thrilled with this.

Good luck!

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I never had a hiss problem with my Superfi 5 pros and my iPod but perhaps it's because a 3rd gen? What bitrate are your songs set at?

I'm really looking at trying that Rockbox. Sounds good.

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 10
UE lists the 5Pros as
Input Sensitivity 119dB/mW
Impedance 21 Ohms

Im missing the hiss if its up around 16k, at 44 years old maybe Im lucky and its outside my upper limit... but I find the 5g preamp to be a very nice match with the UE 5 pro. From everything I have read, it was designed with the IPOD in mind. I can add the treble boost and the gain on the 5g up over half and its still very quiet on dynamic passages.

I would be inclined to contact UE tech support if I were hearing the same. I would not tollerate "pops" at all... but maybe its an age issue.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Get rockbox, not only do you get superior SQ but you also get much less background hiss, it's barely audible with my E500. It was unbearable without rockbox, the hiss was very distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back