5G iPod + Strictly Classical + No Amp = E4C or SF5P?
Oct 17, 2006 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

velveteer

Head-Fier
I'm about to make the big plunge, and contradictions abound on this topic. But those who have owned BOTH IEMs are scarce, much more so those who listen to classical music.

One way of getting closer to the ultimate answer is through this question: Which one of these comes closest to the sound signature of a pair of Grado 125s? I own those and I like their strong, sweet bass and forward, warm highs/mids.

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 14
This is an odd comparison. The Shure E4 has very prominent mids but somewhat recessive high treble. The Super.fi 5 Pro has very prominent bass and is respectable throughout the rest of the spectrum. I feel that the Shure E4 is more appropriate. There's a certain detail that's brought to the table amidst (get it? amidst? ha ha..) its mids that almost entirely compensates for its softer high treble. I feel that the Super.fi 5 Pro misses that certain something, which is a small shortcoming.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for your advice.

I am only hesitant about the E4s because there are rampant tales about a lack of "synergy" with the iPod, and also much lower bass.

People tend to overlook the fact that the classical music experience depends equally on bass as on treble: that's why there are cellos and double-basses in an orchestra!
rs1smile.gif

Any thoughts?

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 14
People also forget about the Treble Booster setting in the iPod eq works very well with the Superfi 5 pros. Adds a lot of clarity to them. I say give em a try. With this hobby you never really know what you like until you HEAR it with your own ears. (Unfortunately for our wallets)

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveteer
Thank you for your advice.

I am only hesitant about the E4s because there are rampant tales about a lack of "synergy" with the iPod, and also much lower bass.

People tend to overlook the fact that the classical music experience depends equally on bass as on treble: that's why there are cellos and double-basses in an orchestra!
rs1smile.gif

Any thoughts?

if you want to listen to classical music, aren't you better off with the etymotic er4p? then again it lacks bass

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 14
I don't think the 4P lacks bass unless you've been normalized to too much excessive bass though, while its true that they lack visceral bass impact (comparing thos large chinese drums), but they do well for classical, as does the E4 IME.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 14
I would recommend the E4 over the 5 Pro for pretty much anything. I have made clear my thoughts about this in numerous other threads.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 14
Classical would be the genre I'd most recommend the ER4S (or ER4P if you'd like a little more bass). Or do like I did and get the ER4P and the S adapter. And yeah it's used with an iPod. Compared to your other two options it will be a bit bass shy, but there are trade-offs and I'd say the Etys would still come out on top for Classical. They don't sound like the SR125 though. I'd say they're quite a bit superior to them.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh, good, somebody else recommended them for me. I was afraid to do it myself because I'm sure I'm close to filling up my quota for today.
wink.gif

As for the bass, it will really vary from recording to recording. Some recordings sound deficient with it, while others will have you clearly feeling the bass vibrations in your ear canal.

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Owned the E4's, loved em; they really need an amp to shine, however. Own the Triple.fis - love 'em; they're suited better for non-classical (piano can sound very harsh with them) and from what I understand, the super.fis would likely suffer the same fate. Since you have the 5g, I'd say go for the E4's. You may also want to try UM2's (although they may end up being a little bassy, even without EQ).

Oct 17, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 14
The shure e4's are definitely better for classical, IMHO. I did a direct comparison between the shures and the ue's using my Mackerras Brahms Symphonies and found that the e4's were more detailed and forward sounding, making them perfect for smaller chamber pieces (like the Mackerras Brahms), whereas the wider soundstage and stronger low end of the superfi's accomodated the more expansive Mahler Symphonies, but overall, I'd recommend the e4's over the superfi's, but you'll have to sacrifice a little in the low end. As many have already recommended, the ety er4p's analytical sound makes it a perfect candidate for classical music, especially piano performances (I found that the superfi's and the e4's made some piano recordings sound harsh). You can find them cheap for around the same price as the e4's or the superfi's. I got mine for $150 from amazon with a special promo. Currently, I switch between my ety er4's and shure e-500s, using my er4ps for solo pieces and some chamber music and my shure's for symphonic pieces.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Thank you all for your replies.

I've already decided against any Etymotic brand earphones, firstly because I absolutely detest microphonics, and secondly because I've already owned a pair of ER6i, and I find the sound signature clinical and unengaging. I prefer some warmth and blood...

Any more thoughts? SF5P or E4?

Thank you for your very helpful advice, bloodydoorknob...

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
This is an odd comparison. The Shure E4 has very prominent mids but somewhat recessive high treble. The Super.fi 5 Pro has very prominent bass and is respectable throughout the rest of the spectrum. I feel that the Shure E4 is more appropriate. There's a certain detail that's brought to the table amidst (get it? amidst? ha ha..) its mids that almost entirely compensates for its softer high treble. I feel that the Super.fi 5 Pro misses that certain something, which is a small shortcoming.

I agree with this. The E4 with the 5th generation iPod has nicely present bass. (it's the 4th gen iPod that had major bass issues with the e4c).

This combo is not a bass monster, but then again neither is the SR-125. I haven't compared side by side, I'm guessing the SR-125 might have a bit more bass than the E4, but not in a huge way, at least for me.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveteer
Thank you all for your replies.

I've already decided against any Etymotic brand earphones, firstly because I absolutely detest microphonics, and secondly because I've already owned a pair of ER6i, and I find the sound signature clinical and unengaging. I prefer some warmth and blood...

Any more thoughts? SF5P or E4?

Thank you for your very helpful advice, bloodydoorknob...

The E4, without hesitation. I could never recommend the 5 Pro in good faith.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back