5G iPod & nano go CRAZY when next to GSM phone?
Nov 17, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Was reading this article on the possible new Shuffles, and it mentions a GSM ring effect on the newer iPods. Has anyone experienced this?

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 16
interesting.. and no I haven't..

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 16
Certain types of cellphones do cause speakers, when powered, to make extremely strange noises, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. But I wouldn't think the cellphone is actually causing the volume to change, but is adding noise to the output that wouldn't normally be there.

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by x1lexure
But I wouldn't think the cellphone is actually causing the volume to change, but is adding noise to the output that wouldn't normally be there.

There is actually a video of a phone causing the volume to freak out on screen out on the net. Couldn't tell you if it's 100% valid because I have a CDMA phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
There is actually a video of a phone causing the volume to freak out on screen out on the net. Couldn't tell you if it's 100% valid because I have a CDMA phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really? Wow. Okay, well then ignore my input on this matter and GSM users-- watch out!

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 16
i live in australia and evertime i get a phone call you'll hear weird noises in the headphone, thats true with all players, even speakers

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 16
GSM phones do interfere.. usually on higher bands, like 1850/1900. On car stereos, sometimes you'll hear a clicking/beeping noise. On the iPod, that's probably happening because the phone is interfering with the fields around the iPod's clickwheel, which the iPod then percieves as a finger. If you go to the menu, then let the phone ring, it'll scroll up and down like crazy.

It's probably just happening with the new models and not the old models because Apple now designs and manufactures their own clickwheels; the first, second, third, fourth, and mini iPods use clickwheel technology provided by Synaptics.

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 16
Yup. Had those strange noises on electronic devices (TV, car stereo, ipod etc.) when my Nokia phone is near em. No such problems with my Samsung phones though. All GSM.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 16
This is completely normal, although very unfortunate.

Happens with all (gsm, haven't tried cdma) phones, regardless of maker/model (it may just be less audible on those with lower transmission power).

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 16
this happened to me this morning while waiting for the train. my phone and 5g ipod are inside my bag when the volume suddenly changed. i think it's nice feature by the way. it turns the volume down so i can hear my cellphone ring. =)

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 16
I would not keep your DAP and cell phone next to each other - the DAP will act like a reciever and amplify signel and beem them stait to you ears but only stronger - it is same with corded hands free mobile kits - the headphone acts as an antenna/reciever and you get at least 3 times more radiation
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back