5g ipod --> (most popular port. amp on head-fi?) --> ER4p?
Jan 9, 2006 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CamelBackCinema

500+ Head-Fier
Was just wondering what are some of the most popular (in terms of sound quality, price and portability) amps for the setup in my sig.

I am very new to amps and I've only owned a couple back when I had full sized headphones. Thanks in advance for some help.

EDIT: BTW, I have the S adapter so I would be utilizing that.

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 14
Xin Supermini-III, although he seems to be majorly backlogged.

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 14
You should definitely look into the Hornet. It is solidly built, can be powered through ac adaptor to use at home OR 9v battery on the go, and is TRULY PORTABLE as it is tiny. I was skeptical at first, but this unit has really made a difference in the sound I get from my 5g ipod and is powerful enough to power the higher end cans that need more juice. If you're planning on getting an amp for your ipod, make sure you pm TURBO here at hifi and get him to make you a turbodock II adaptor to use your dock connector for an audio output (THIS IS A MUST). Best of luck on your endeavor for aural bliss
580smile.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 14
There are a lot of options for an small portable amp. Some are:

-Pocket Avenue PAV2
-Go Vibe V4
-Practical Devices
-HeadAmp AE-1
-Ray Sammuel The Hornet
-Xin's SuperMini or Supermacro3 Ver. 6
-Portaphile V2

In another group (a bit larger) you find:

-Ray Sammuel SR-71
-HeadRoom Micro Amp w/ or w/o the desktop module
-LaRocco Pocket Reference

Good luck.

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 14
Portaphile V2.

I consider it to be the absolute best value for price headphone amp. Get the maxed version, then run far away from this website.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

hen run far away from this website

THE TRUTH.

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 14
I have to back-up the Go-Vibe. I have a v3 and I'm honestly overwhelmed at how the bass has emerged from my ER-6i's.

And to think, I was so close to buying the UE Super.fi 5

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 14
I actually have the same exact setup (well, almost - don't have the ER4P-24 cable yet, but plan on getting it), and I'm interested in hearing what you decide.

One thing I'm curious about is - would a TurboDock/Amp setup charge or power my iPod? I find that by the end of the day, I have very little charge left in my iPod if I don't plug it into my computer at work.

Also, are there amps that improve the amount of bass? While I am quite happy with my Etys (now that I've worked through my initial seal issues), a little more bass would be welcome.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122
One thing I'm curious about is - would a TurboDock/Amp setup charge or power my iPod? I find that by the end of the day, I have very little charge left in my iPod if I don't plug it into my computer at work.

Also, are there amps that improve the amount of bass? While I am quite happy with my Etys (now that I've worked through my initial seal issues), a little more bass would be welcome.

The turbodock/amp setup will not charge or power your iPod.

I think the PA2V2 makes up very well for the combined bass deficiencies of the iPod and Etymotic. It specializes in giving a warm, bassy sound to low-impedance headphones out of portable sources.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
>>Also, are there amps that improve the amount of bass? While I am quite happy with my Etys (now that I've worked through my initial seal issues), a little more bass would be welcome.<<

and

>>>It specializes in giving a warm, bassy sound to low-impedance headphones <<<

Ety's are high impedence cans, no?

For bass on the Ety's, I'd recomend mostly going back and forth between the 'S' cable and the 'B' setup. An amp vs no-amp will definitely give you more bass to a much greater extent than the difference between amps. Any more bass than that, which many seek, is best sought by buying amps that feature bass boost, like the SuperMacro and a couple others.

After almost 5 years with the ER-4p, an 's' and a 'b' (splits the difference between the 'p' and 's') cable, I will say these extra features and amp switches are useful. Whether its the difference from one recording to the next, or simply wanting to listen at soft background levels, bass flexibility is needed, IMO.

Chris
SL-CT570 PCDP=>JMT Mint; 4-switch SM V1 (lost); Rockhopper AD8620 PIMETA (coming)=>'s,b' cable=>ER-4p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back