5G iPod > Cryo Dock > Hornet : MIni Review
Aug 26, 2006 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GIGANTOID

100+ Head-Fier
ipodrig.jpg

I finally assembled my main office/portable rig and was asked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64
Saw your photo of the ipod/cryo/hornet and I was wondering:

A-Do you have any problems operating/carrying your amp or ipod, since a lineout changes the connecting points from a mini-mini?

B-Your opinion, so far, using the cryo? I'm considering one, read the boards, and wonder if you could offer further insight.

Thanks for any help you could give!

So I thought I'd give out a mini review/thoughts about how I perceive this setup, my reply to Ironman...

I have many issues with amp/source portability. First off the actual dock connectors are fairly large. They cause a rig like mine, which cant really get any smaller unless I went with Xin Supermicro, to not fit any of the small digital camera bags. I bought a Lowe Pro digicam bag that is tiny and actually fits everything inside. But the zipper really has to be forced over the top of the ipod. It's a case of the bag being maybe a 2/8" too short. And thats with only having a Best Skins Ever on the iPod YMMV depending on device and protection.

I would rather have the input jack of the amp (any amp, not necessarily the Hornet) to be on the back side of the amp. As using the setup while inside a case of some sort would require taking the whole unit out to either change the volume or change a song. I dont have a headphone cable remote as they look silly. A longer dock to mini would help you turn the amp the right way around. I had a Sendstation Pocketdock and a 12" HeadRoom basic mini-mini that would not cause the ipod not to fit in the same bag.

I've trolled the internet looking for a good quality small bag and the LowePro comes closest with out being oversize. Perhaps the Rezo 60 model may be a little deeper.

All that being said I usually have everything in my sling backpack pocket and take it back and forth to work. The UM2s and Cryo go in the westone padded case just fine. While I wrap the Hornet ion a small microfiber cloth. The iPod has the BSE skin on it which has been excellent. Dont really feel the need for anything else unless I was more mobile and not using an amp that would change.

As for the Cryo dock itself. The braid makes it very strong. It is much smaller than my previous lineout the PocketDock. Which does have some uses as far as being able to charge the iPod without switching out the dock. This could be very handy say when using Rockbox as that just loves to eat up battery time. The Cryo seems to let more detail come through to the Hornet than the previous cable. For this reply I was listening to Nightmares on Wax - Night Interlude. And around 1:30:00 to 2:00:00 a piano walk gets introduced and the Cryo definitely lets the piano come through more allowing greater extension to the upper levels and a bit wider soundstage. It's not easy to A/B the dock quickly so there is room for error but I feel certain about what I'm saying.

The lineout/amp does provide much better sound than the headphone out. I'm lucky in that my UM2's sound great with the iPod alone but get better with the Hornet.

I hope that helps.

ADDED: The UM2's have been excellent, I migrated from Shure E3Cs and the difference is dramatic. The cable length from the earpieces to the Y a little longer for people with fat faces such as me. And the overall cable length could be like 12" more. I'm tall so when wearing the phones using my ipod in my pocket i tilt slightly to the side its on. They are extremely sensitive so using the Hornet I can't have the volume past the 2.5 mark and usually listen at the 1 or 1.5 in quiet rooms. Not too much else that hasn't been said about these before. If you're on a budget go with the Shure E4C (unheard by me) or buy used UM2s if you want much better sound.

EDIT: Technically I could actually get a smaller rig by using a Nano etc. BUt hopefully you understand my point.

EDIT2: Thanks to Ken Ball for the Cryo, Kugino for the UM2s and to Jeffery900 for the Hornet. All three have been excellent to buy from and talk with.

Aug 26, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 13
That's the same setup I'm using at the moment (even down to the skin) except I'm using E500s. I'm still evaluating it, but for the most part I'm pretty happy. I have a Go-Vibe 5 on the way and will see how it compares.

Aug 26, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 13
Also using the Cryodock with 30g Ipod. Have been quite successful withHeadroom's mini bag. Check it out Everything fits well and the bag zips closed easily. Also have Moon Audio's Silver Dragon Pocketdock and that sticks out a little, but nothing that's a hassle.

Check out the Headroom bag for total closure

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Nice review. I have the Silk doc and I love it.

Fierce Freak, would love your opinion on the Go-Vibe 5 when it comes in.

Ed

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 13
Heh, yeah I upgraded from the GoVibe 3 w/8620. I've seen the HEadroom bag but that clear front just bothers me. I've really been thinking of getting a custom leather case made with a little form fitted spot for the Hornet. I'll never do it, but its good to dream.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Gigantoid et al.

I forgot to mention that if you have a store called "The Container Store"

http://www.containerstore.com/

near you check it out becuase they carry some nice small bags that will fit your rigs nicely at a decent price.

Cheers and nice mini review.

KB

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 27, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 13
wow--never thought of Container Store. Will check it out. And, yeah, the Headroom bag is the Minibag--not the clear-fronted one. Even has puch in back for my Ety4p

Aug 28, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm using the same rig as Gigantoid, my Hornet arrived today. My Cryo dock has the first ever right angle mini connector and I'm currnetly using the Hearoom Gig bag - the clear front one. To connect my ipod 5G 30GB I turn it upside down and have the amp volume control sticking out the top of the bag. It all fits with room to spare.

I just now ordered the Lowepro bag, thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 28, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
wow--never thought of Container Store. Will check it out. And, yeah, the Headroom bag is the Minibag--not the clear-fronted one. Even has puch in back for my Ety4p

we were just talking about the Container Store in NYC yesterday. I'll stop by on my way home and canvas the joint for something that works with a Hornet and Ipod combo - i have em in my bag right now, a Lowepro camera bag that is indeed twice the size of your current slighty-not-big-enough bag.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 13
THANK YOU for the insight!
biggrin.gif
I find it's simple enough to get performance reviews here of this 'n that equipment, but hard to find out their management needs. So, thank you. I've always wondered about the ease of use/carrying a line-out system outside laying them on the ol' desk.

Aug 29, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 13
This one cost me $3.99 at the containerstore, hold my ipod, amp and LOD with room. Its a rubbery mesh with a zipper, great for not getting your pod skuffed.

bag.jpg

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back