598 vs 518 - The $100 difference really worth? (open to suggestions)
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 28

Hmmm, I don't think you're quite after the 240 or Momentum given your previous posts.

Why not look into the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?  Currently $185 at Amazon.com/ $157 at Buysonic.com.

It is relatively easy to drive (16 ohms impedance vs. the Senn. HD 598 50 ohms impedance);  it has 4 levels of adjustable bass; it fits over the ear, you should find them comfortable over long sessions; and it has a fairly good soundstage.  You will sacrifice some detail and treble compared to the m50x, but for you the trade-off is probably worth it.

+1 If you wants the bass

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 28

Hmmm, I don't think you're quite after the 240 or Momentum given your previous posts.

Why not look into the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?  Currently $185 at Amazon.com/ $157 at Buysonic.com.

It is relatively easy to drive (16 ohms impedance vs. the Senn. HD 598 50 ohms impedance);  it has 4 levels of adjustable bass; it fits over the ear, you should find them comfortable over long sessions; and it has a fairly good soundstage.  You will sacrifice some detail and treble compared to the m50x, but for you the trade-off is probably worth it.

Now we're talking! I like what I've seen from those Beyerdynamic! But if I will sacrifice some detail and treble wouldn't it be worse for rock songs? The only question left is about gaming, is the surround of the beyerdynamics good enough for games?
Thanks

Edit: I just checked the frequency response! This can't be right man!!! 5 - 30.000 really?!? This seems awesome! 

Edit: what about this combo that amazon is offering, ath-m50x + ehringer HA400 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amp? Wouldn't this amp make the m50x sound better?

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #18 of 28
  But if I will sacrifice some detail and treble wouldn't it be worse for rock songs? The only question left is about gaming, is the surround of the beyerdynamics good enough for games?

Edit: what about this combo that amazon is offering, ath-m50x + ehringer HA400 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amp? Wouldn't this amp make the m50x sound better?

1.  If you liked the HD 598,  I think you will find the COP very good for rock and gaming.  One of the reasons the HD 598 is commonly recommended for gaming is that it is comfortable and has a wide soundstage (or the surround as you put it
smile.gif
).  The COP won't be quite as comfortable or have quite the soundstage, but it will have the bass you need (and it will perform better than the m50x in all three respects - comfort, soundstage, bass).  The HD 598 isn't really a rock headphone, so if you were happy with your listen of it, you'll be happy with the COP.

2.  I don't have any experience with the mentioned amp.  But the problem with the m50x isn't the sound, so I don't want to mislead you into thinking that it sounds bad.  It's very well respected.  Gun to head, if I had to rate the m50x in 20 random headphone categories, I would give it mostly "7's."  For me the m50x is like a great utility infielder, I can appreciate its versatility, just not ever my first choice.  

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 28

1.  If you liked the HD 598,  I think you will find the COP very good for rock and gaming.  One of the reasons the HD 598 is commonly recommended for gaming is that it is comfortable and has a wide soundstage (or the surround as you put it
smile.gif
).  The COP won't be quite as comfortable or have quite the soundstage, but it will have the bass you need (and it will perform better than the m50x in all three respects - comfort, soundstage, bass).  The HD 598 isn't really a rock headphone, so if you were happy with your listen of it, you'll be happy with the COP.

2.  I don't have any experience with the mentioned amp.  But the problem with the m50x isn't the sound, so I don't want to mislead you into thinking that it sounds bad.  It's very well respected.  Gun to head, if I had to rate the m50x in 20 random headphone categories, I would give it mostly "7's."  For me the m50x is like a great utility infielder, I can appreciate its versatility, just not ever my first choice.  

I found this website: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself

Where you can, supposedly, hear the audio from the headphones. I don't intend to use the custom one pro in the "heavy bass" or "light bass" settings, so I just compared the "vibrant bass" and the "linear" settings with the m50x. I don't know if you cant trust this test, because in the end it depends on the headphones you're using to hear them. Anyway, the m50x sounded a lot better for me, highs mids and bass sounded always balanced while "vibrant bass" setting of the BD wasn't delivering enough highs and mids and the "linear" setting wasn't delivering enough bass. 

What now? Should I trust this test? Cause after this I can't take out of my head that the m50x would sound better... And it comes with a case and the coiled cable...

I'm sorry if it seems like I am "disrespecting" your opinion! I'm not. But again, I'm really afraid of spending all this money...

Thanks for the help!

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 28
  I found this website: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself

Where you can, supposedly, hear the audio from the headphones. I don't intend to use the custom one pro in the "heavy bass" or "light bass" settings, so I just compared the "vibrant bass" and the "linear" settings with the m50x. I don't know if you cant trust this test, because in the end it depends on the headphones you're using to hear them. Anyway, the m50x sounded a lot better for me, highs mids and bass sounded always balanced while "vibrant bass" setting of the BD wasn't delivering enough highs and mids and the "linear" setting wasn't delivering enough bass. 

What now? Should I trust this test? Cause after this I can't take out of my head that the m50x would sound better... And it comes with a case and the coiled cable...

I'm sorry if it seems like I am "disrespecting" your opinion! I'm not. But again, I'm really afraid of spending all this money...

Thanks for the help!

Hearing the audio through another pair of headphones sort of defeats the purpose. Unless one sounds absolutely horrible... Then maybe you can take that impression and run with it.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 28
  Hearing the audio through another pair of headphones sort of defeats the purpose. Unless one sounds absolutely horrible... Then maybe you can take that impression and run with it.

Yeah, I thought so... But what about what I've pointed out "the m50x sounded a lot better for me, highs mids and bass sounded always balanced while "vibrant bass" setting of the BD wasn't delivering enough highs and mids and the "linear" setting wasn't delivering enough bass." dos this really happens when actually using the headphones?

edit: Hokieboy, your profile picture is a m50x, so I'd like to hear why are you telling me to get the BD 

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 28
  Yeah, I thought so... But what about what I've pointed out "the m50x sounded a lot better for me, highs mids and bass sounded always balanced while "vibrant bass" setting of the BD wasn't delivering enough highs and mids and the "linear" setting wasn't delivering enough bass." dos this really happens when actually using the headphones?

I'll say this, if you think that you'll like the ATH, then buy it.  Because here's a dirty little secret:  the ATH-m50/m50x are often compared directly against the COP (when set at its second lowest bass setting).  And the results are:  some people prefer the ATH, some people prefer the COP, and some conclude that the two sound "very, very" similar.  So, yeah I agree with what Hokie said about mixing headphones, you can get some wonky results that way.  Good luck with the ATH, they are nice headphones.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #23 of 28
Thanks a lot souhikyaku!

Buysonic just came up with the m40x for $70!!!! What you guys think about it? $100 difference again hahaha, does the m50x worths the extra or should i go with the m40x and save some money??

Or should I wait for them to get the m50x for $110 again?

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 28
Just to close it up, I'm probably going with the ATH-M40X + Fiio E6, as the m40x has a little less bass than the m50x I think the bass boost of this amp will give me what I need. But I found mixed reviews of the E6, so should I buy the E6 or should I just go with some srh840 pads instead?

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 28
  Just to close it up, I'm probably going with the ATH-M40X + Fiio E6, as the m40x has a little less bass than the m50x I think the bass boost of this amp will give me what I need. But I found mixed reviews of the E6, so should I buy the E6 or should I just go with some srh840 pads instead?

I don't have any experience with the pads, but if you go with a Fiio amp, spend the extra money for the Fiio E11k.  Given its low price, I can't think of anything more that I would want out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back