598 vs 518 - The $100 difference really worth? (open to suggestions)
Aug 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Stickman19

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and I tried the HD 598, I've never used a headphone that comfortable, I don't see any other headphones at this price range being more comfortable than that. That's the main point that made me go with the HD 598.

But the volume was SO low, I set it to maximum and it kinda disappointed me, the quality of the sound is perfect, but the volume... Is it normal?

Also, the bass was very weak, I listen most of the time rock/indie rock like Arctic Monkeys, AC/DC, The strokes... But I listen to some dubstep and techno stuff sometimes. If I do some EQ changes will it handle and give me the bass I want? And is it good to rock/indie rock?

I've never tried the HD 518 but I'm a little afraid of spending + $100 on the HD 598, will I notice that difference? And are the HD 518 as comfortable as the 598??

I'm open to suggestions but only if you recommend something as comfortable as the HD598, cause I use headphones for long sessions, like 9 hours.

Thanks and sorry for any English writing problems.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 28
  So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and I tried the HD 598, I've never used a headphone that comfortable, I don't see any other headphones at this price range being more comfortable than that. That's the main point that made me go with the HD 598.
But the volume was SO low, I set it to maximum and it kinda disappointed me, the quality of the sound is perfect, but the volume... Is it normal?
Also, the bass was very weak, I listen most of the time rock/indie rock like Arctic Monkeys, AC/DC, The strokes... But I listen to some dubstep and techno stuff sometimes. If I do some EQ changes will it handle and give me the bass I want? And is it good to rock/indie rock?
I've never tried the HD 518 but I'm a little afraid of spending + $100 on the HD 598, will I notice that difference? And are the HD 518 as comfortable as the 598??
I'm open to suggestions but only if you recommend something as comfortable as the HD598, cause I use headphones for long sessions, like 9 hours.
Thanks and sorry for any English writing problems.

What sources (DAC/Amp) are you plugging your headphones into?
Get a used HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, you will have something almost as good as the HD598.
The HD558/HD598 can provide a little stronger bass with a more powerful headphone amplifier, but will never have a big bass.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 28
  I'm just plugging in my laptop and desktop, no amps, do I really need one?

so, can you name a headphone with more bass that still comfortable as the HD 500 series?

Maybe the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $190.

There is the Takstar Pro 80 closed headphones, $80, fairly comfortable.
More bass then an open headphone like the HD558/HD598.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 28

You can call off your search - you just need to decide which Sennheiser to buy.

The 558/598 are slightly louder than the 518, so if you are finding volume issues with the 598, then maybe not consider the 518.  The overall sound quality of this line is intended to be smooth, pleasing, and non-abrasive.  So as you've discovered, it is not a visceral headphone - an eq will affect the sound, but it won't change this overall trait.  Hence, it is not really a rock or techno headphone - but it is incredibly comfortable and polite sounding.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 28
You can call off your search - you just need to decide which Sennheiser to buy.

The 558/598 are slightly louder than the 518, so if you are finding volume issues with the 598, then maybe not consider the 518.  The overall sound quality of this line is intended to be smooth, pleasing, and non-abrasive.  So as you've discovered, it is not a visceral headphone - an eq will affect the sound, but it won't change this overall trait.  Hence, it is not really a rock or techno headphone - but it is incredibly comfortable and polite sounding.

I don't know man, I'm sure they're comfortable, but I'm really afraid the bass will let me down. So, after reading some stuff, I think I'll go with the ATH-M50X, they seem comfortable, have a nice look and I'm pretty sure they have more bass than the sennheisers. What do you guys think about it, is it a good choice?

Thanks for the answers

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 28
I don't know man, I'm sure they're comfortable, but I'm really afraid the bass will let me down. So, after reading some stuff, I think I'll go with the ATH-M50X, they seem comfortable, have a nice look and I'm pretty sure they have more bass than the sennheisers. What do you guys think about it, is it a good choice?
Thanks for the answers

Reputation on the ATH-M50Xs is lots of bass and slightly recessed mids, but not great for surround sound.
But if you just want to rock out, with BASS, then the ATH-M50X's should work for you.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 28
Reputation on the ATH-M50Xs is lots of bass and slightly recessed mids, but not great for surround sound.
But if you just want to rock out, with BASS, then the ATH-M50X's should work for you.

So, if the surround isn't great, I would have a bad time using them for gaming? I'm an average consumer, so I like the boom bass, I just don't want the bass to be all over the mids and highs, like beats and stuff like this. You think the ath-m50x would give me what I want or should I look somewhere else?

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 28
Lol OP - the allure of bass is strong. The m50x does have more bass as PurpleAngel points out, but they are not nearly as comfortable, especially if you are doing 9 hour sessions. And, to be totally honest, the bass quality isn't great. It is, however, a very good all-arounder - and it might work really well for you. I just don't personally feel anything for the m50x, it is the one headphone purchase I kind of regret more and more as time goes on, just because for every application I have something that works better.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 28
Lol OP - the allure of bass is strong. The m50x does have more bass as PurpleAngel points out, but they are not nearly as comfortable, especially if you are doing 9 hour sessions. And, to be totally honest, the bass quality isn't great. It is, however, a very good all-arounder - and it might work really well for you. I just don't personally feel anything for the m50x, it is the one headphone purchase I kind of regret more and more as time goes on, just because for every application I have something that works better.

So it's a no for the ATH-M50X? what would you recommend then? 
and what about the AKG 240 MKII or the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear? Really, I don't wanna spent all this money in a headphone that won't deliver the bass I want, I know the sennheeiser sounds perfect, they really do, and it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, but after thinking about it the lack of bass is not for me, I need more bass than the sennheiser can get me.
That been said, and you guys telling me that I shouldn't get the M50X, what should I do?

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 28
  So it's a no for the ATH-M50X? what would you recommend then? 
and what about the AKG 240 MKII or the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear? Really, I don't wanna spent all this money in a headphone that won't deliver the bass I want, I know the sennheeiser sounds perfect, they really do, and it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried, but after thinking about it the lack of bass is not for me, I need more bass than the sennheiser can get me.
That been said, and you guys telling me that I shouldn't get the M50X, what should I do?

Hmmm, I don't think you're quite after the 240 or Momentum given your previous posts.

Why not look into the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?  Currently $185 at Amazon.com/ $157 at Buysonic.com.

It is relatively easy to drive (16 ohms impedance vs. the Senn. HD 598 50 ohms impedance);  it has 4 levels of adjustable bass; it fits over the ear, you should find them comfortable over long sessions; and it has a fairly good soundstage.  You will sacrifice some detail and treble compared to the m50x, but for you the trade-off is probably worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back