595 Or 650's With Emmeline Hornet Amp
Mar 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ButtersBoi

New Head-Fier
Hi, i was wonder what would fit me better, i listen to a lot MUSE and Weezer that kind of music. Whats better for that kind of genre ?. i never owned a pair of sennheiser before and those two models are on sale at a good price at the moment

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 12
I don't know about the HD 595, but I once ran a HD 650 through a Hornet, and it may have been the source (iPod => ALO cable), but the results were very subpar.

Extremely rolled off treble, monotonous bass, and distant, almost hazy mids.

In short, I would not recommend a HD 650 without a decent home setup and not a portable one.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 12
The HD595 will sound pretty nice out of anything. I didn't notice a gigantic difference between an M-Audio soundcard and Corda Aria, but keep in mind I don't have a lot of faith in my listening skills from back then. An HD650 with even a cheap, synergistic home amp will be a significant improvement over what I heard out of the HD595. Something like a La Figaro/Darkvoice 336 would be very competent for not a ton of cash, generally under your budget used, somewhat over new.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 12
IF you haven't purchased an amp yet, go for the hd650. I owned the hd595, and while I really enjoyed it, it is far surpassed by the 650. If you go for the hd595, you will end up upgrading eventually.

For $300 you can find some nice home-built hybrid amps for sale (Millett Minimax, SOHA II). Both sound great with the 650.

Also, alot of people like the DarkVoice 336 (used DV 332 would be even better) and the LittleDot MKIII.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF you haven't purchased an amp yet, go for the hd650. I owned the hd595, and while I really enjoyed it, it is far surpassed by the 650. If you go for the hd595, you will end up upgrading eventually..

I lived quite happily with a HeadRoom Total BitHead driving my HD650s for awhile, and they do scale to whatever you have upstream in your system according to many expert reviews ...and my own experience, albeit limited so far. Oh, by the way, I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention MUSE and Weezer, so my advice my not be very helpful!

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Get a home rig instead, and look at other brands. Why limit yourself if you're going to spend $700 anyways?

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

IF you haven't purchased an amp yet, go for the hd650. I owned the hd595, and while I really enjoyed it, it is far surpassed by the 650. If you go for the hd595, you will end up upgrading eventually.

For $300 you can find some nice home-built hybrid amps for sale (Millett Minimax, SOHA II). Both sound great with the 650.

Also, alot of people like the DarkVoice 336 (used DV 332 would be even better) and the LittleDot MKIII.

Good luck and enjoy.

+1

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Oh man, I was about to purchase the Hornet for my HD650 but now I am having second thoughts... I suppose the Darkvoice or a LD amp would be a better direction to go for my price range.

Phew! I am glad I ran into this thread

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for all the replays, i was just wondering my friend told me that i will need to replace the tubes. I never owned a tube based amp before so i really have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back