595 Driver imbalance
Jul 12, 2005 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm only using my home reciever for amping, because my Supermacro is geting repaired, But it seems like the left driver isn't the same volume as the right unless I put it too loud to listen to. Didn't do this on the Grados same setup. Wonder If it could be the amp itself, which it probably it is, because it's old. Any ideas?

Cheers

Jeff

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 6
I find amps can and do effect balance. It is going to be very hard to tell if it is your receiver with out another amp for comparison. My Gilmore lite makes the left channel ever so slightly louder and my Total Airhead make the right a little louder.

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I have had my 595s plugged into a cheap mp3 player, cheap cd player, Audigy 2 ZS, Pocket Amp 2, EMU 0404 directly with an adapter, and a Gilmore Lite, never sounded unbalanced in any of the setups.

That said maybe it could just be your cans that have the problem, but if you never noticed before then I am guessing the reciever.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Hope so. The reciever is old, So I think I'll point my finger at it until my Supermacro comes back

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 6
It's normal for potentios to have slight L-R 'mistracking' especially at low volume. It takes good quality (read: mucho bucks) pots, not consumer grade, to get very tight tracking. Old amps are quite prone to this problem - surprisingly, the one I found have best L-R tracking at any position is vintage Apt Holman preamp (too bad it came with only half decent phones output).

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 6
The reason would seem that the 595 being very efficient, you'll inevitably keep the volume knob in a 'range' (should be around 7-8 o'clock) where the potentiometer is inaccurate (which is normal for practically any normal potentiometer, even if "audiophile grade").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back