580s are here (vs MS-1)
Mar 6, 2006 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Unearthed

100+ Head-Fier
Ooooooook so my 580s came and yesterday I sat down for a nice long listen. They have not been broken in yet, and my MS-1s are...so things may change a bit. Also, I'm not some big audiophile guy using the all those special words, so I'll just tell it how I hear it for all the "Should I get the ____ or ____" threads.

First, my MS-1s were my first good heaphones and I love them. I have the comfies, Todd's flatts, and the Senn 414 pads although these days I pretty much only use the 414s. I find them to be awesome for rock, electric, and acoustical music...which is mostly what I listen to. Recently I have been listening to jazz...a little more on that later.

The 580s are a completely different animal. Seriously, it's like comparing apples and oranges. You really cannot understand the difference between a Grado and a Senn until you own one of each. Strangely, I find my Grado's to be a little more comfortable with the 414s because the 580 is very tight on my ears. It gives me a bit of a headache...although the Alessandro's with the comfies hurts my left ear. Right now, I would rather wear the MS-1s, although I figure with time that will change.

The sound on the 580s is so much different than the Alessandro. Much more of an airy sound, and bigger too. I do not feel this "veil" people talk about, and I am really liking my new jazz on these headphones. People say we shouldn't categorize "Grados for rock, Senn's for classical and jazz etc..." but it really is true. I do not feel like the Senn's have the impact of the MS-1 when it comes to rock and anything that require a little more bass. It is perfectly adequate with jazz or any sort of acoustic...but not hard rock. I'm tired of typing now, but I can say I like them both although the MS-1 may be more my style at this point with the 580s being so young.

Both of these are used with an X-FI, Kimber PBJ, and a Home Vibe.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 7

solbergg

100+ Head-Fier
Congratz on the new cans! The 580's are a wonderful pair of headphones. I have had mine for about 7 years and am still loving them. I am in a similar situation as yours, but reversed. I recently picked up a pair of SR-60's and am adjusting myself to the Grado sound signature. The 580's are far and away the most comfortable headphone I have ever had on my head, but I do remember when I first got them that the clamping seemed a little tight. That will certainly ease with time. Give those puppies a real long burn-in, as they require much longer than your average headphone. Enjoy!

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 7

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Enjoy!! theyre both great headphones at their respective price points. They excel at different things, although IMHO the HD580 does rock/metal better than any Grado does classical.

Garrett

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 7

Xakepa

500+ Head-Fier
You have to give them a lot of burn-in.

Mine started to get "transparent" after almost 2 weeks of overnight loud-enough burn-in. Brand new, they were warm and muddy.

Strange enough, they seem to be getting brighter now...or more extended I guess. I have to try 'em with a darker chip now...

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 7

Svperstar

500+ Head-Fier
Nice
smily_headphones1.gif

I am enjoying my 580s also, even though I had to send back my first pair due to a bad driver and deal with bad customer support(grrf) it was worth the hassle.

Much like Grado and Senn are different animals so is the Sony MDR-SA5000 and the HD580s. I have been switching back and forth a lot lately.

Users who are viewing this thread