580 or 600
Feb 26, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Well obviously I'm gonna be biased, but I did get my 580s pretty darn cheaply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides they're no longer sub-600s anymore. I'll also reiterate how I hate the marble-effect, some people buy them without knowing how prominent it is.

Theres a 580-appreciation thread, wheres the 600 one?
580smile.gif

Funny, knowing that the 580s were sonically similar (which appears debatable anyway), I bought the 600s over the 580s simply because I thought the 580s looked like ugly, cheap, plastic junk. I happen to think the 600s have a much more refined look. I seriously doubt that they will some day become the Avocado colored refrigerators of the '60s.

Point is: I paid extra for something you "hate", and believe it was money well spent. Different strokes for different folks.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
Point is: I paid extra for something you "hate", and believe it was money well spent. Different strokes for different folks.

Precisely, no one take my hating the marble as a personal attack. I thought the 580s looked a bit cheap, which is why I got the 600 grills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techpoo
cheap, plastic junk

plainface.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues
When paired with the HD600 grills, the only possible factor for a difference in sound would have to be driver matching.... that is, unless you really believe that a different headband is responsible for the audio improvement in the HD600 :p

So, the SQ differences between the 650, 600, and 580 are attributed to the following: Grills, cables, and driver matching? Is there anything else that could affect SQ?

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf
So, the SQ differences between the 650, 600, and 580 are attributed to the following: Grills, cables, and driver matching? Is there anything else that could affect SQ?

Well, the 650 has completely different drivers. Where the 580/600 are twins, the 650 is an older brother.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Precisely, no one take my hating the marble as a personal attack. I thought the 580s looked a bit cheap, which is why I got the 600 grills.

plainface.gif

Why on earth would I take your dislike for the 600s as a personal attack? You've stated at least a few times in this thread how horrendous looking the 600's are to you. I was just countering that opinion with mine. I'm glad that you're happy with your headphones.

I am, however, puzzled by your decision to edit my user name. Was that supposed to be humorous?

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #67 of 79
I really didn't dig the 600's teal speckles so I bought a 580 used and the 600 grills (from Senn USA, shipped in January) and a 650 cord. I thought that the grills and the cord made the 580s look much better and I could detect a difference with the grills, for the better (onix cd player and rega ear amp, your miledge may vary)

Dollar for dollar in the right application, it's really tought to beat going this route - save the couple of bucks by not going with the 600 and put it towards, cables, source, music, beer, etc.

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #68 of 79
Quote:

Why on earth would I take your dislike for the 600s as a personal attack? You've stated at least a few times in this thread how horrendous looking the 600's are to you. I was just countering that opinion with mine. I'm glad that you're happy with your headphones.

I am, however, puzzled by your decision to edit my user name. Was that supposed to be humorous?

Why did you miss out the 'cheap, plastic junk' I quoted? I thought that was not very nice, hence why I felt justified to change your username.

The personal attack comment was aimed at anyone who might take offense, not just you.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #69 of 79
Quote:

Why did you miss out the 'cheap, plastic junk' I quoted? I thought that was not very nice, hence why I felt justified to change your username.

Well, in that case, it seems to me YOU are the one taking all of this a bit too seriously, and your changing of my user name is more of a personal attack than anything I've typed in this thread. I'm merely voicing my preference between the two phones, not insulting you.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Well, in that case, it seems to me YOU are the one taking all of this a bit too seriously, and your changing of my user name is more of a personal attack than anything I've typed in this thread. I'm merely voicing my preference between the two phones, not insulting you.

Quite possibly, I did go off a bit, sorry. I lead a really rubbish life(read my profile) and the slightest comment here or somewhere else can light my fuse.

Music is my biggest love in life, so I do get a bit protective over anything connected.

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #71 of 79
Quote:

I happen to think the 600s have a much more refined look. I seriously doubt that they will some day become the Avocado colored refrigerators of the '60s.

I think they already are. Guacamole, anyone?

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Driver matching has as much effect as the source you use or the file type.

Besides I bet some 580 owners have been fortunate to get better matched drivers than some 600 owners? If Sennheiser found a 580 had identical drivers put in would they go, 'Nope, better change that its too good'.

...although I obviously don't know how they choose.

I don't really see the comparison between sources and driver matching.

You're implying that there is a fairly obvious difference in sound between two headphones where one has more closely matched drivers. If that's what you meant, then I agree with you.

Why would they try to match the drivers after they've already installed them in the headband?

Oh, and the 600s are still prettier than the 580s.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #73 of 79
I've owned both the 600 and the 580 (currently with the 580). I sold my 600's early last year or late 2004 (got out of the headphone hobby for a minute). I used them with different amps (used the 600's with a Perreaux SHX-1 and an ASL MG Head OTL, used/using the 580's with a Little Dot II and now an X-Can v3). To me the 600's are slightly better, not nearly the dollar amount difference in their cost. Depth and resolution are the words that come to mind, same drivers or not. Just another man's opinion.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #74 of 79
I thought I saw a couple of posts in here (or maybe in other threads) where people are claiming that you better get the HD 580's soon because they are being dicontinued. Just wanted to let everyone know I talked to HeadRoom late last week and was told that Sennheiser had a fire at one of their plants in Germany (thus all the backordered cans for many of us) but that they are now getting back on schedule. The HeadRoom rep also told me it was just a rumor about the HD 580's--they are still in production, according to the Sennheiser rep who visited HeadRoom only a couple of weeks ago. So, the 580's are still going strong and no need to panic to get one.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but hopefully it helps some decide!

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
I've owned both the 600 and the 580 (currently with the 580). I sold my 600's early last year or late 2004 (got out of the headphone hobby for a minute). I used them with different amps (used the 600's with a Perreaux SHX-1 and an ASL MG Head OTL, used/using the 580's with a Little Dot II and now an X-Can v3). To me the 600's are slightly better, not nearly the dollar amount difference in their cost. Depth and resolution are the words that come to mind, same drivers or not. Just another man's opinion.

I don't disagree with that. The differences are certainly not night and day. I also think the degree of difference that you hear may depend on the type of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back