580 or 600
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrydog
I look at it this way...buy the 580s and you might always have the nagging doubt in the back of your mind that the 600's would have sounded a little better. But that's just me. You may not care.

I'd be more concerned I'd bought something that will look like a paisley shirt in 5 years time.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #47 of 79
I just ordered the 580s (my first Sennheisers). Is the 650 stock cable worth trying on these headphones? I think it is selling for about $12 US (unless I'm looking at the wrong thing on the sennheiser site).

I'm not ready to make a substantial investment in a premium cable until I've used these headphones for a while, but $12 seems like a reasonable expense for some noticeable improvement. If it won't make any difference, though, I'd rather save the money.

Thanks for your input.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Huh? I owned both at once, never "tried" to hear any differences at all... I just heard them. The HD580 is definitely not as clean, and treble becomes shouty at higher volumes (where it doesn't with the HD600). That's just to name a couple differences. Tonally, they're virtually identical.

i also had both at the same time and i agree with your findings. the hd600 were smoother overall and felt more effortless than the hd580 but to me, these were very slight differences. it took a lot of a/b'ing to figure that out. in the end, i kept the hd580 because the difference wasn't big enough for me and i also preferred the way they look. imo, the hd600 is not worth the price difference if you're trying to decide between the two.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I'd be more concerned I'd bought something that will look like a paisley shirt in 5 years time.

You care more about how it looks than how it sounds? Okay...

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

I look at it this way...buy the 580s and you might always have the nagging doubt in the back of your mind that the 600's would have sounded a little better. But that's just me. You may not care.

One could make the same argument about 650 over 600.... although in that case, they at least don't sound almost completely alike
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

You care more about how it looks than how it sounds? Okay...

Erm, yes if I could get almost the same thing less gaudy and cheaper.

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues
One could make the same argument about 650 over 600.... although in that case, they at least don't sound almost completely alike
evil_smiley.gif

Sure you could...but read the title of this thread.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf
I just ordered the 580s (my first Sennheisers). Is the 650 stock cable worth trying on these headphones? I think it is selling for about $12 US (unless I'm looking at the wrong thing on the sennheiser site).

I'm not ready to make a substantial investment in a premium cable until I've used these headphones for a while, but $12 seems like a reasonable expense for some noticeable improvement. If it won't make any difference, though, I'd rather save the money.

Thanks for your input.

I would also like to hear the answer to this

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #54 of 79
Erm, what about driver matching? The HD 600 is supposed to be the better of the two in that regard.

If the difference in headphone drivers is half as apparent as that of microphone diaphragms, then closer driver matching will definately have a noticeable effect on the sound.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf

Thanks for your input.

try here
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144858
and here
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=cable

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
Erm, what about driver matching? The HD 600 is supposed to be the better of the two in that regard.

Driver matching has as much effect as the source you use or the file type.

Besides I bet some 580 owners have been fortunate to get better matched drivers than some 600 owners? If Sennheiser found a 580 had identical drivers put in would they go, 'Nope, better change that its too good'.

...although I obviously don't know how they choose.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibo
Ok, I want the 600 but it just might be outa my price range so i was considering a 580 hybrid with 600 grills and a 650 cable.
Thank You for any replies
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

But that's still 580 sound right? Unless you put a 600/650 sound unit inside
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20

Based on the 3 pairs of 580's and 2 pairs of 600's I've heard to date, the 600's have better matching between channels. The 580's tend to have more of a left-right imbalance than the 600's.

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Driver matching has as much effect as the source you use or the file type.

Besides I bet some 580 owners have been fortunate to get better matched drivers than some 600 owners? If Sennheiser found a 580 had identical drivers put in would they go, 'Nope, better change that its too good'.

...although I obviously don't know how they choose.

You do a great job of trying to justify your purchase decision and to convince 600 owners that they made a mistake. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. I think I'd satisfied with the 580s if I had bought them, but I also know I wouldn't be trying to convince everyone that they were the same as the 600s. Whatever floats your boat though...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

You do a great job of trying to justify your purchase decision and to convince 600 owners that they made a mistake. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. I think I'd satisfied with the 580s if I had bought them, but I also know I wouldn't be trying to convince everyone that they were the same as the 600s. Whatever floats your boat though...
rolleyes.gif

Well obviously I'm gonna be biased, but I did get my 580s pretty darn cheaply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides they're no longer sub-600s anymore. I'll also reiterate how I hate the marble-effect, some people buy them without knowing how prominent it is.

Theres a 580-appreciation thread, wheres the 600 one?
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back