540c v2 and Corda Aria = HD650 or K701
Mar 27, 2007 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MuseMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions. I'm not sure which forum this should be placed so please forgive my possible error.

Would my Cambridge Audio 540c v2 be considered a bright or dark source? I ask the same question for the Corda Aria?

For rock/alternative music, which headphone would suite this setup? My current contenders are the HD650 and K701.

Would a silver RCA interconnect help lift the 'veil' off the HD650 and make the K701 too bright? Or will it just be money wasted?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 2
I have always said that your own feeling on bright and dark is the best one. Then a friend of mine who is an audio engineer at a big recording studio pointed out that the frequency response of ones person's ears compared to another person can determine if something s bright or dark. I have a set of headphones most audiophiles would consider less than high end, until they try it out slap bang against a HD650. If your taste is rock or any kind of attacking music I suggest you try something else than the HD650 for that. They just don't go low enough for me. My Denon HP1000 wipes the floor with the HD650 when used for heavy beats and extended highs. The HD650 is accurate and resolving, but its frequency response is not as refined as some make it out to be. So I use two sets of cans depending on what I am listening. But then again, I also use a different pre-amp/amp combination for listening to vinyl, compared to what I use for CD. I discovered long time ago that a CD set up is not necessarily right for a vinyl set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back