5400 or 7200 rpm hd for Macbook Pro?
Jun 3, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 54
I work with a company who has recently become an Apple reseller, and the Apple rep told us that hard-drives in MacBooks can be replaced, but hard-drives in MacBook Pros are NOT considered user-replaceable because it requires disassembly of the chasis. On the MacBooks, the hard-drives are just under a panel on the underside of the unit.

Ram replacement does not void the warranty for either, though I found this on the Apple website and its a little confusing:

"Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs."

It sounds like it is Apple's call on whether the warranty is void or not once they receive an upgraded unit for repair...if you upgrade your RAM, and the memory slot dies 6 months later, they can technically say the failure was a result of your upgrade and not cover the repair..

Or you could just put the original hardware back in before you need warranty work. Mum's the word..

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #33 of 54
You can upgrade the RAM yourself in the MacBook Pro, but not the hard-drive.

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can upgrade the RAM yourself in the MacBook Pro, but not the hard-drive.

I would just do it, carefully. When I'd need the warranty I'd put the old hd back in.

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just do it, carefully. When I'd need the warranty I'd put the old hd back in.

x2

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 54
I'd go with the 5400rpm drive. the difference is littler than you think. The 2 drives actually have a little bit similar speeds because the size of the drive helps the speed due to higher data density. so lets say you have a 100 gig 7200rpm drive and a 250 gig 5400rpm drive. the 5400 will actually be faster than the 100 gig.

i dont know the exact comparison ratios when you factor the size in, but you shouldn't have to worry about the speed difference is what im saying. go for the more space.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with the 5400rpm drive. the difference is littler than you think. The 2 drives actually have a little bit similar speeds because the size of the drive helps the speed due to higher data density. so lets say you have a 100 gig 7200rpm drive and a 250 gig 5400rpm drive. the 5400 will actually be faster than the 100 gig.

i dont know the exact comparison ratios when you factor the size in, but you shouldn't have to worry about the speed difference is what im saying. go for the more space.

HUH? Having both types, I can tell you the 7200 is absolutely faster beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just because it is 250 GB does not mean that the data density is higher since it could be the case of the 250 GB being a dual platter design vs. for example the 120 GB being single platter. Both share the same data density but the 120 GB has the benefit of a much high RPM which most likely equals a noticeable lower random access time.

One of the major issues here the way I see it is watt consumption some of the early 7200 RPM 2.5" drives consumed almost twice that of the 5400 RPM version.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HUH? Having both types, I can tell you the 7200 is absolutely faster beyond any shadow of a doubt.

like i said. its dependent on the sizes of both drives where the 5400 can be as fast.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are 1/2 of u guys talking about.

APPLE will NOT void your warranty if you change hdd or ram. I have personally asked, called, checked online with them.
I went into the apple store 1/2 a year ago to have them check out my macbook (just for the hell of it)...
The guy opened up the bay, took out the ram and said, "These ram aren't apple original ones."
I said, "I know, they are authorized ram that an apple reseller sold to me." (cause technically, all DDR2 SODIMM 667mhz ram are compatible with apple)
The guy said, "Oh yeah, okay, lemme help you check on that"

I also had the 250gb hdd installed in my macbook, they were all nice, after doing a diagnostic test, they even helped me replace my lcd screen and cleaned it.

Technically, yes it does void your warranty.

then again most apple stores are VERY nice and they'll work on your comp anyway
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #42 of 54
If you're working with a large amount of data on a constant basis, definitely go with the faster spindle speed.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #43 of 54
I have a MacBook Pro. I use it for listening to music and to do a little bit of designing on it as well. The first thing I would upgrade if you haven't already is the memory. Max that thing out. 4GB of memory if you can. It's going to run real smooth then man. Then I would do a HD upgrade and **** the 5200rpm. 7200rpm is the way to go. Well I hope this helped you out. take it easy.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're working with a large amount of data on a constant basis, definitely go with the faster spindle speed.

Ditto!
I have used both 5400 and 7200 rpm drives in the same machine, and certainly stick with the 7200 one. Its noticeable faster, while still have a very small impact on battery time and heat.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #45 of 54
Clearly 7200rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back