53mm Driver Transplant
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZokharaFi

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with transplanting drivers from some worthy headphones into another set of cans?
I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900x's that I bought a couple years back and the wing support has broken in one side, and I had trouble with the pads breakingnbefore.
I would love to salvage these amazing drivers, and transplant them into a set of cans, both to save money so that I don't have to buy another $300+ pair, and because I just love these headphones and they're discontinued now.
I am pretty mechanically inclined, and have plenty of tools, so I'd honestly be down to build the cans If they make head bands that will mount up for DIY projects.
Any shared experience, advice, or resources would be entirely appreciated!!

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with transplanting drivers from some worthy headphones into another set of cans?
I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900x's that I bought a couple years back and the wing support has broken in one side, and I had trouble with the pads breakingnbefore.
I would love to salvage these amazing drivers, and transplant them into a set of cans, both to save money so that I don't have to buy another $300+ pair, and because I just love these headphones and they're discontinued now.
I am pretty mechanically inclined, and have plenty of tools, so I'd honestly be down to build the cans If they make head bands that will mount up for DIY projects.
Any shared experience, advice, or resources would be entirely appreciated!!

Just a thought: as far as I know all of AT's Art and Air Monitor series use 53mm drivers, so I'm guessing in theory you could put A900X drivers into a "lesser" AT like A500 or similar. I'm not sure if it'll sound similar/better/etc because there may be other significant differences between whatever headphone you start with and how the A900 were setup internally. Alternatively you might be able to salvage the parts you need for the A900's headband from a lesser AT with 3D Wing.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 4
It will affect the sound (probably for the worse) if he doesn't use a headphone with huge cups and double-chambered design like A900x's.

So his best bet is probably an A500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back