Feb 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 15
My preference goes to NFB-10.
K701/2 improves considerably when driven balanced. Also I feel that the NFB-10 (at least ES version) synergizes well with AKGs in general, and add to them an extra touch of solidity and punch.
You can also get it at a very good price in UK: http://www.ampcity.co.uk/dac-amps/audio-gd-dac-amp-nfb-10.html

I haven't heard the Burson dac/amp but comes with a great reputation and quite a few people seem to enjoy it with AKGs (amongst many other brands).
This one is probably most accessible to you because you could find it in London at Angelsound Audio ( http://www.angelsoundaudio.co.uk/ASShop/page9/page30/page30.html )

I'm not so sure about the Meiers though. I have owned two of their amplifiers (but not the Concerto) and I didn't really like how they've matched with the K701.
I could be wrong and other people may disagree, but personally I'm far more inclined in the direction of Audio-gd and Burson

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not so sure about the Meiers though. I have owned two of their amplifiers (but not the Concerto) and I didn't really like how they've matched with the K701.

I agree with that. Had them on my Corda Aria some years ago, didn't work for me as they produced a very tiring sound that I couldn't listen to for longer periods of time. YMMV

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 15
Why the change of heart towards NFB-1 & C2.1 ?
On the DAC side, the NFB-1 is bound to be an improvement over NFB-10.
However C2.1 is single ended and, for one, it will waste a considerable part of the NFB-1's advantage over NFB-10.
Secondly I don't think it's anywhere near NFB-10's integrated headphone amp (basically A-gd ROC). And thirdly, quoting from my original post:
Quote:
K701/2 improves considerably when driven balanced.

Why don't you give Burson a try at first (since they nearest to you), and go from there? If you like it - problem solved.
If you don't like it and feel it lacks something that A-gd products might offer, give those a try.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 15
so, what justified the decision for 160d in the end?

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Go balanced IMO

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Funny that you mentioned poor QC and customer service.  I think you are just reading the very few issues the company has ever had so it sticks out to you - availability heuristic.  In the end, it is really up to what you picked but IMO, the LCD-2 and 160D is one of the worst combinations I've ever heard (synergy wise).

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Just FYI, Burson has nothing to do with Burson Audio.  They just exploit his name for anyone who may of heard of who he is.  Also Burson Audio's discrete OPA was designed and for a long time manufactured by Audio-GD.  Burson Audio is about as a joke as they get IMO.  Years of research on their fully discrete OPA buffer, which is now used in a number of their devices.  Hilarious.  

Burson probably is a nice piece of audio equipment, but you may want to question whether it's actually worth it's price tag.  I highly doubt it.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Just FYI, Burson has nothing to do with Burson Audio.  They just exploit his name for anyone who may of heard of who he is.  Also Burson Audio's discrete OPA was designed and for a long time manufactured by Audio-GD.  Burson Audio is about as a joke as they get IMO.  Years of research on their fully discrete OPA buffer, which is now used in a number of their devices.  Hilarious.  

Burson probably is a nice piece of audio equipment, but you may want to question whether it's actually worth it's price tag.  I highly doubt it.

Do you only post this kind of stuff? 

Reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back