50mm drivers for a diy project.
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Roderick

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a sony mdr-sa5000 housing that I'm planning on modding fully closed. I'm going to replace the black fabric parts and the cup center with some kind of wood. I have a good idea what the headphones will look in the end but I have no idea what drivers should I use. You guys got any suggestions for good 50mm drivers preferably under 400usd/pair? I was thinking T1 but those are too expensive as spares. I have no preferred sound signature. I'm hoping to build headphones with good isolation that have comparable sound quality to my jvc dx1000 which they would be replacing as my closed set. I know not many are familiar with dx1000 so lets say that I wan't the headphones to sound better than hd600, w1000x etc

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Ath-w3000anv drivers should be able to purchased directly from Audio Technica in your price range. I know a few DIYers who buy drivers straight from AT and make some great stuff.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 3
I would propably have to make a new baffle for the headphones because most audio technica drivers are 53mm. Thanks for the suggestion though..I've always been a fan of AT headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back