$50ish Headphone for general home use
Feb 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Headphowned

New Head-Fier
About a year or two ago I joined this forum and under the guidance of you guys I ordered the Denon D1000 and I loved it. I was completely surprised by the sound quality. Recently my Denons broke (
frown.gif
) and now I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones.

Now on this forum, the trend seems to be every so often there would be a new headphone that completely blows everything out of the water because of its value (i.e. the NuForce IEMs, Yuin PK series) and since technology is ever improving, what are some nice headphones that I can score for about $50?

My only requirement is that it be around the ear (forgot what the proper word for that is). I listen to a variety of music but lately I've been listening to a lot more indie rock/alternative type of stuff, but I listen to a lot of hip hop as well. Open/closed is ok.

And yea I want a headphone. I'll mainly be hooking this up to my laptop.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 24
AND they're $80 new.
tongue.gif

VALIENTE, stop always recommending the SR60.

How about the RX700? Also the SRH240.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR 60 are not circum-aural

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 24
They often go unmentioned here, but I recently got to try the Koss UR40 and was quite impressed with its sound. At $40 I can definitely recommend it.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They often go unmentioned here, but I recently got to try the Koss UR40 and was quite impressed with its sound. At $40 I can definitely recommend it.

the UR40s DO have the KSC-75 drivers, which are highly regarded as well, probably a good recommendation
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a pair as well. Really good for the price. Also the lifetime warranty can't be beat. Break them, and all you have to pay is 6 bucks to get them fixed.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 24
If you want something very similar(pretty much the same) to your old Denons, check out th Creative Aurvana Live. They are OEM clones, essentially. Same exact drivers are the Denons, same pads, just a somewhat different design and shape. They can be found for 55 dollars at costco. Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

Otherwise, the JVC RX700. Do the felt mod on them(requires no tools, very simple) to bring out the mids and highs, and then maybe the foam mod for increased comfort/sounstage(they are already very comfortable though), and I really think you'd be hard pressed to find a clearly better and not just "different" headphone under 100 dollars. Seriously, this headphone is really loved in forum(I certainly love mine).34 bucks shipped from provantage.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 24
+ 3 on the Ur40. Got a pair for 21 bucks. Removed the foam in them and they sound pretty darn good.

Felt-modding the Rx700 seems like it turned them into a completely different yet awesome headphone.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 24
The felt mod definitely helps, but I forgot to mention burn in. The felt mod is like removing a veil from the mids and highs(which weren't that bad to begin with), but the effect of burn in on these is just ridiculous. It's the only headphone I've heard to date(admittedly not many =P) I'm sure is not purely psychological. They start of very muddy and slow. They sound stiff. After burn in they just become amazingness, so be sure to burn for at least 150 hours if you get these before you judge, although they start to change alot by the 16 hour mark, I found.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about the RX700? Also the SRH240.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't get the SRH240. They are really not that great, even for the price.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 24
Either JVC black series or JVC RX900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back