50AWG wire is fun!
Oct 7, 2003 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Because there is absolutely no way to strip it! Anyone experienced with ultra small wires want to chime in on how to strip wires thinner than hair?

I've tried scraping the insulation off via blade + microscope, and I have tried melting the ends with 750 deg F iron, but I can't get continuity between the ends. Scraping breaks the wire too...

And yes, it has to be 50AWG.

Oct 7, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Because there is absolutely no way to strip it! Anyone experienced with ultra small wires want to chime in on how to strip wires thinner than hair?

I've tried scraping the insulation off via blade + microscope, and I have tried melting the ends with 750 deg F iron, but I can't get continuity between the ends. Scraping breaks the wire too...

I've not done this, maybe you've tried. Put the wire under a new X-acto blade and rotate the wire (under the blade). Attempt to pull the cut insulation off with tweazers (not the knife blade). A microscope will help. Obviously, you need to cut the insulation. The wire ought to more durable than the insulation. Otherwise, it is unusable. Good luck.

Magnetic wire, though, is different.

JF

Oct 7, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

What enameling is on the wire? Are you stuck with what you have or can you get something else, such as some 50 gauge with a solderable enamel (i.e. polyurethane)? Some enamels can be chemically stripped, but I prefer to avoid the sorts of chemicals required for that.

By the way, mind if I ask what you're using this for?

se

Oct 7, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 11
It is some sort of nichrome wire, I have no idea what the insulation is, will check later. I need to use this wire to create the leads for a piezo-electric actuator for a microrobot, so things have to be as small as possible.

I'll try your suggestion, JohnFerrier, but I have a feeling that the insulation is tougher than the wire, heh.

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

It is some sort of nichrome wire, I have no idea what the insulation is, will check later. I need to use this wire to create the leads for a piezo-electric actuator for a microrobot, so things have to be as small as possible.

Ah. Sounds like fun!

Nicrhome? Weird. Does the wire need to be welded or something?

Anyway, you may have to chemically strip it if you can't get something else. Knowing what the insulation is will help determine what to use to strip it (depending on the insulation it may require an organic or inorganic solvent). Mechanical strippers (special strippers used for magnet wire) are rather expensive and I'm not sure they can do 50 gauge. Been a while since I looked into them.

In any case, good luck!

se

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Try heating it up with a match or lighter, then wiping the insulation off with a paper towel while it is still hot. I use that method for varnish and other non stripable insulation on fine wire and it works pretty good, if you don't mind a bit of discoloration on the insulation.

Oct 9, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Just found out that the wire is formvar insulated nichrome, 0.001" total, 0.0007" conductor (50 AWG).

It's $190 per spool (500 ft)
eek.gif
eek.gif

I may have to use some chemical, acetone perhaps? Or try hand stripping again.

Oct 9, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Try the lighter trick to get rid of the insulation.

I do this on piezo elements all the time.

Regular solder WILL NOT stick to nichrome.
You can usually put down a dab of solder and stick
the wire into it, and most of the time it will hold.

Best way is conductive epoxy.

Oct 9, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Just found out that the wire is formvar insulated nichrome, 0.001" total, 0.0007" conductor (50 AWG).

It's $190 per spool (500 ft)
eek.gif
eek.gif

I may have to use some chemical, acetone perhaps? Or try hand stripping again.

Formvar insulation is removed with... concentrated Formic Acid (88% or higher). This is unpleasant stuff to use because it has a very irritating/offensive odor and causes hellaciously painful burns if it gets on you (this is the same acid that is in ant stings, only much more concentrated).

That said, a quick pass over a lighter's flame will do the trick, but if the wire sags while trying to burn off the insulation then you heated it too much.

Use solders made for stainless steel or nickel to attach; conductive epoxy may be the way to go, here, but I've never used it myself.

Oct 9, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Would it be worth getting a solder pot for the job?

Oct 9, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Alright I'll try the lighter trick, and if not some chemicals (avoid dangerous stuff).

We have conductive epoxy so that's not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back