$500 volume wood knob...
Feb 1, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 63
Bo gus.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 63
That's just.......

...funny

Feb 1, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 63
I don't know -- I used to agree with you guys until I heard an amp with a big expensive wooden knob -- the highs were more pronounced; the soundstage better defined; the bass was improved in several subtle ways. I'm a convert. Big expensive wooden knobs are definitely the way to go.

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

the highs were more pronounced; the soundstage better defined; the bass was improved in several subtle ways

LOL
confused.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

How can possibly a piece of machined wood that is just screwed / glued stuck to the potentiometer's axis improve highs, mids and lows? Sorry to flame but that is impossible, it just cant. I can only say it's got to be your imagination that it sounds better because it's more expensive than a regular one. That's just a heap of rubbish, it's impossible.

confused.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I don't know -- I used to agree with you guys until I heard an amp with a big expensive wooden knob -- the highs were more pronounced; the soundstage better defined; the bass was improved in several subtle ways. I'm a convert. Big expensive wooden knobs are definitely the way to go.

sometimes i really dont know if your being serious or not
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 63
I don't know about this Music Fanatic guy. He lists his location as "5 minutes in the future." Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's against the laws of physics. You should stop lying to people around here, Music Fanatic. If you're trying to make some kind of a statement, perhaps it would be better to use witty, tongue-in-cheek humor.

~Jordan

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 63
As far as all you knob skeptics are concerned, I think you should really try the knob first before you put it down. Of course, you need to let it burn in for at least 100-300 hours (the exact amount is really a function of your interconnects) to have it reach its full potential. And, most important of all, remember that the knob is best sonically matched with wooden headphones such as the Sony R10. Try it out and I think that all you'll be able to say is "Wow!"

Feb 1, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 63
OK so I'm thinking he is joking, but if you read the site that sell's it:

"How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!"

Reckon it's for real or a load of B/S?
confused.gif

Either way no matter how carried away I got with this hobby, I'd draw the line at $500 for a volume knob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back