<$500 speakers for loud music
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did kind of an impulse thing and got the RB-61s for $409 shipped, brand new on e-bay. They have the highest sensitivity, and seem more capable than the A5s from everything I've been looking at. Any form of aggressive sound definitely won't be a problem with the kind of music they will be playing.

So now I need a decent integrated amp. I don't want to spend more than $150. If the speakers and amp can be under $600 total including shipping I will be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Good stuff .. Let me know what you think of them when you are up and running.

I was powering mine with a 10-15 Watts T-amp when I first got them and they could play surprising loud with that little thing. I ended up getting a HK3490 receiver in the end though because the signal was a bit noisy on the t-amp. I am pretty sure that any decent power amp would do just fine.

What kind of music will they mostly be playing anyway?

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 28
@RicHSAD,
I'm sure the CB-20 are not just a step up of the A2, but more likely a leap. not sure about the A5 though. I've listened to a few speakers in the same price range, and while some did things better than others, when it came down to reproducing truth of timbre, soundstage, and overall realism they all were more or less at the same level.
after reading the review I'm really curious about the CB-20. if there's a dealer where I live I'll go listen.

003, wow, looks like you've got the speakers you're looking for. it'd be interesting to hear your overall impressions compared to the A2.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

So now I need a decent integrated amp. I don't want to spend more than $150. If the speakers and amp can be under $600 total including shipping I will be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Bump that budget up to $200.00 and you can get yourself a refurbished Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver that puts out 100 watts/channel with a dedicated subwoofer output that x-over @ 80hz. Go to accessories4less.com for that deal. Or sign up to Club Onkyo for deals on refurbished Onkyo receivers.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump that budget up to $200.00 and you can get yourself a refurbished Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver that puts out 100 watts/channel with a dedicated subwoofer output that x-over @ 80hz. Go to accessories4less.com for that deal. Or sign up to Club Onkyo for deals on refurbished Onkyo receivers.

I already grabbed a Mitsubishi DA-U157 on e-bay for $111 shipped. It's supposed to be 75 watts per channel and has an electronic volume control so I don't need to worry about the volume pot getting dirty.

Will it drive the RB-61s well at higher volumes? It seems relatively powerful and the RB-61s are apparently have a very high sensitivity. My Audioengine S8 woofer is self-powered, so I don't need an amp for it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I already grabbed a Mitsubishi DA-U157 on e-bay for $111 shipped. It's supposed to be 75 watts per channel and has an electronic volume control so I don't need to worry about the volume pot getting dirty.

Will it drive the RB-61s well at higher volumes? It seems relatively powerful and the RB-61s are apparently have a very high sensitivity. My Audioengine S8 woofer is self-powered, so I don't need an amp for it.

I have not been able to find any info on that amp but it should do just fine. Make sure to setup the sub properly when you plug it all up. You might have to increase its volume as chances are that the RB-61 will be louder than your A2. Also, turn down the crossover to 80hz or 60hz. 60hz worked pretty well for me when I had a sub with them.

And yeah, remember to let us know how it sounds.
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want something loud I would suggest looking at speakers with high sensitivity. The passive P4 aren't too bad at 88db but I would look for something with bigger woofers anyway.

Klipsch makes high efficiency speakers, good for parties, but their "in your face" sound signature isn't for everyone. They are a little on the expensive side too compared to other models. If you want something more neutral sounding, Energy makes great speakers.

Here are a few models you might want to look into (just a few examples, there are plenty of other good speakers out there):

Klipsch RB-61 (good but not worth the full price imo .. look for deals)
Energy CB-20
Energy RC-10
Axiom M3

I have the klipsch Rb51, they sound good but i need more punch! help! which of these would provide more punch to the rb51 or say some polk rtia 3? or any other suggestions?

i heard the polk tsi 100 in store, surprisingly had more punch than th eklipsch vb 15, but tsi 100 highs suck badly imo. i also read about tsi 200 which seem to have more punch than tsi 100 but appear to use same tweeter, makes me think same crappy highs.

so i considered the klipsch rb-61, but i think the signature will be too close to my rb51 and would leave me still wanting more punch. plus the rb 61 are rather large..

the horn the klipsch uses is actually very nice sounding, even for the bass punch crowd, if too bright just eq treble and they sound delightful imo.

my amp is basically my weak onkyo link, so ive been considering a cambridge 640a, problem is it caps at around 70 watt for 8 ohms, and i am super worried if i buy this amp i will have another weak link if i have speaker that are rated 85 or 100 watt ???????? could this amp drive them or will it just aggrevate me?

and like i said i need more punch... but at same time i hate, hate a muffled signature which ruins everything(hello tsi 100)
so which combo or speaker/ amp would be best?

on more interesting thing as that i have some older, very good alpine 6/9 housed as satalites, i used to have mounted in my car, they donot have a port, and are 3 way,,, and surprisngly the highs can match my klipsch rb51, albeit with much less punch and thickness., how can this be,, has anyone else had a simiilar experience with boxed 6/9, or any other car audio speaker while comparing to home speakers?

thanks

May 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #24 of 28
@003: Please do let us know how everything goes once it's all set up =]

@techenvy:

Just throwing this out there, it may be a tiny bit of a stretch but a used pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's can be had for $500ish or less. I believe Paradigm speakers are known for being punchy because of their midrange hump similar to that of Grados. For an amp... I can't help you as I haven't heard much. Good luck on your search =]

May 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

Well I guess it depends on what you mean exactly by punch, but maybe you should consider just getting a sub? Seems like the RB-51's lack of power in the low end may be the problem here.

May 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
@003: Please do let us know how everything goes once it's all set up =]

@techenvy:

Just throwing this out there, it may be a tiny bit of a stretch but a used pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's can be had for $500ish or less. I believe Paradigm speakers are known for being punchy because of their midrange hump similar to that of Grados. For an amp... I can't help you as I haven't heard much. Good luck on your search =]

thankyou thankyou thats what i need , bookshelf speakers that punch your lites out!
anymore?

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

Well I guess it depends on what you mean exactly by punch, but maybe you should consider just getting a sub? Seems like the RB-51's lack of power in the low end may be the problem here.

Quote:
@ techenvy....

Have you considered adding a powered sub? There's only so much one can do with a 5.25" or 6.5" woofer.

yes ive considered this, but i already piss my neighbors off enough, actually when i upgraded my car stereo i almost took my old 10 inch and put it in my bedroom, but i thought that would be overkill and start a riot for sure, lol

so anymore bookshelf punchers?

May 9, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #28 of 28
Buy a pair of used Talon Audio Khites off audiogon next time they come up, the first gen ones  should go for around 500$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back