~500$ speaker options
Jul 7, 2003 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Basically, I've narrowed it down to a pair of vintage Klipsch, or a lightly used Maggies.

Has anyone heard both? Does anyone know the benefits of planar vs. horn?

Jul 7, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 12
What vintage Klipsch? If its a Klipsch Forte, I know those are incredibly sensitive and dynamic, somewhat boomy, very boomy if placed wrong, a little ragged and bright in the upper mids/ lower treble and dont image particularly well. They are great if you like to play your music loud and they are mostly free of that cupped hands coloration you hear with most horn speakers. With some work on placement and getting a stand for them they can be quite good.

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 12
If it's the Klipsch Heresy, I'd say it's a nice buy. Excellent speaker for a smallish tube amp, and works well with SS too.

I'd like to throw out a suggestion for some of the newer Polks in the LSi series. What I've heard is pretty damn nice, and you can pick them up for what you have budgeted.

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Last week, I listened to some Epos ELS-3's, with Audio Space valve amplification, and a Cayin HDCD player (valve output stage). Let me just say that they blew me away for the size and price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 12
Please list the rest of your set up.

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Basically, I've narrowed it down to a pair of vintage Klipsch, or a lightly used Maggies.

Has anyone heard both? Does anyone know the benefits of planar vs. horn?

The Maggies are more transparent, and image better. However, the vintage Klipsch are some of the most dynamic speakers ever built. Keep them away from the side, and back wall and they will sound much more neutral with the most distortion free bass ever.

Jul 7, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, the klipsch are VERY tempting right now. I also have a feeling that they will sound a bit better with tubes and vinyl than the maggies. I would most likely be purchasing custom stands for them as well. However, I will be sure to audition maggies before I consider buying any klipsch.

Also, is it worth the extra money for la scalas?

Jul 7, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Yeah, the klipsch are VERY tempting right now. I also have a feeling that they will sound a bit better with tubes and vinyl than the maggies. I would most likely be purchasing custom stands for them as well. However, I will be sure to audition maggies before I consider buying any klipsch.

Also, is it worth the extra money for la scalas?

I have heard every model in the Heritage Series line, and the ones I brought home where the Chorus II. There is such a thing as too much cabinet for a medium to small room. I also felt that the Forte II, and the Chorus II represented the best dollar value in the Heritage Series line, and still sounded good pushed out into the room. But, to answer your question, yes the La Scala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn are worth every penny depending upon your setup. And, yes a smooth relaxing tube amp is the ticket with these bad boys.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Maggies loves tubes, you just need enough power. No less than 60 watts. Horns are efficient, Planars are not. I am personnally hooked on magnetic planars. I have heard Avantegard duo's, but they just don't suit my taste of music. The MMGs are by far the least expensive component in my setup, but they are definitely the heart of it. I'm sure you have been to the MUG users group right?

Jul 7, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 12
If you open to vintage equipment, you might consider ADS. We have a pair of 710s, absolutely beautiful, clear sound, across the range, treble, mids, bass. Not at all boomy. ADS speakers in good condition sell on ebay between $200-400.

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Im leaning slightly more toward the klipsch now. It seems like i'd have to spend a lot more money on amplification to get the most out of the MMG's. However, now im considering upgrading my source (and music collection) a bit before buying speakers, since i wont be using them untill the end of summer anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back