$500+ open headphones recommendation? (warm/round, good soundstage)
Jul 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronic music is fast, forward and tight which is why I personally wanted a set that excelled with this. I wouldn't think a slow and relaxed headphone like the Senn 650s could handle half the music I like. I've owned the Denon D2000 which is said to be slower and more relaxed and my thought were while this is good, it's not very involving. Take The Prodigy for instance, this gets pretty fast at times with a lot of separate sounds coming from all angels, add to this a loud listening volume and any relaxed, elegant headphone just can't do it, the sounds merge together.

I love the presentation of the Ultrasones, the separation and detail is simply paramount to anything I've heard at this point. I'd even say its more like listening to speakers than headphones, it doesn't sound as in-your-head as I've previously become used to.

They sound very good in terms of detail, but I usually want some warm sounding phones with the music I listen to (usually calmer / underground electronica with a darker, bass-emphasized sound). I will note the Ultrasones though, it might be nice to have ultra-detailed phones for certain tracks! And they look pretty good.

Quote:

Thanks for the track, I've haven't heard that mix before, I like it better than the original... now I'm wondering where I can get a nicer copy of it...

Ahh you've heard the original. I bought a FLAC of it at juno.co.uk, excellent site that you probably know of, but I could of course just send you a PM.
smily_headphones1.gif
The quality isn't really audiophile standard though (one of the muddiest tracks I bought in that batch, and the vocals have some strange flange effect on it).

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey! I'd like a recommendation on a high-end open headphone with, as the heading says, a more warm/round sound (or, at least, not a harsh/aggressive sound - important, because I mostly listen to techno / electronic music), and a nice, big soundstage.

I have looked at some of the options, but this class is a bit confusing. I see both Grados and Alessandros are characterized, among other things, as a bit aggressive / bass lacking, with a small soundstage. In other words, not my cup of tea.

Right now I have the closed Beyerdynamic DT150s on a Meier-Audio Arietta. This really gives a smooth, detailed and comfortable sound, in my opinion. In other words, I am quite pleased with this setup. However, I am still drooling for an upgrade.
biggrin.gif

So if anyone has a recommendation in this class, preferably something with a rounder sound, maybe with detailed / slightly emphasized bass (or at least not the other way around, aggressive and bassless), I would be very happy.

Get the AD2000 they are not that aggressive they are perfect for electronica also nice soundstage crystal clear yet not cold, also warm full sounding similar to akg 240 but way better and cleaner. I wouldnt get the sennheisers way too laid back and imo makes the music boring but pleasent to listen to. The grados have no sound stage, and the dt880s are good but a bit cold.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 28
Thanks for some new names Currawong!

Here's a review I found on the AD2000 which isn't very positive, is this guy completely off?
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Open Air Dynamic Headphones: Electronics

Quote:

These headphones bring the midrange forward giving you a somewhat "in-your-face" sound. At the same time the headphone is well balanced so you don't feel that the bass and treble are stuck in second place.

At least to me, the forward midrange and sonic coloration actually made me want to take the headphones off. Certain instruments and voices sound very nasal (yes, an instrument somehow sounds nasal) and at the same time it feels like the instrument is being played right next to (perhaps even in) my ears. It was just too much for me.
[..]
The fit is also tight and may be painful to some. People have inserted rubber tubing in the pads to improve this. It's called the "phatpad" mod.

This is so different from the other reviews I've seen (including dty's comment above which just made me want to press "ADD TO CART" immediately), I'm wondering if this is a combination issue with this guy's amp / DAC?

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for some new names Currawong!

Here's a review I found on the AD2000 which isn't very positive, is this guy completely off?
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Open Air Dynamic Headphones: Electronics

This is so different from the other reviews I've seen (including dty's comment above which just made me want to press "ADD TO CART" immediately), I'm wondering if this is a combination issue with this guy's amp / DAC?

that review reminds me when i first bought them the treble was too much kind of piercing and the headphones felt very tight on my head, but once they burned in some the treble became perfect crystal clear sounding not nasaly at all and now that they have been streched some they feel perfect on my head dont notice them on.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #20 of 28
Pro 900 I don´t know how you could go faulty with that one. Maybe not forward enough for electronica? They are a bit more laid back and with a wider soundstage than the 750... But then the 750 may be perceived as bright. I wouldn´t call them warm anyway unless you have amps/sources with rich bass of course. They are kind of chameleons lol

edit: I know that they are closed but particularly the Kees Modded Pro 900 really sounds like an open headphone. They are airier and have a larger soundstage then the HD 650 though doesn´t quite match the K701 in term of width
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro 900 I don´t know how you could go faulty with that one. Maybe not forward enough for electronica? They are a bit more laid back and with a wider soundstage than the 750... But then the 750 may be perceived as bright. I wouldn´t call them warm anyway unless you have amps/sources with rich bass of course. They are kind of chameleons lol

edit: I know that they are closed but particularly the Kees Modded Pro 900 really sounds like an open headphone. They are airier and have a larger soundstage then the HD 650 though doesn´t quite match the K701 in term of width
smily_headphones1.gif

the pro 900 lack mid range lots of treble and bass but little mid range

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 28
No it don´t lack mid range at all. What in the mid range is it you don´t hear?. Could try Kees Modding it too if you need help controlling the bass
smily_headphones1.gif

It has the sweetest mid range I have ever heard in a headphone. DX 1000 is a close second in that area.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 28
AD900s will give you slightly more bass than AD700s, and are better overall. At only $260, they are half your budget and easily hold their own with the most expensive phones out there.
Of course, no open phones can compete with closed where bass performance is concerned. The best possible bass would be either DT770 Pro/80s or M50s (both of which are excellent phones, but have that "closed" sound rather than being open and airy.)

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 28
Thanks for some new names, Blackmore! I have looked at the AKG K340s (your review) and I will see if I can find more on this and the other models you recommend. Also nice to get that elaboration from you on the Pro 900s oqvist.

I have thought a bit more, and looked, among other things, at the HD650s vs AD2000 discussions on these forums. Seems several people have settled on buying both sets; (one warm, slower, bigger soundstage set, and one more forward, faster, airier set). I can understand the appeal of listening through your collection with two different sets, something you can't really do with a speaker setup.

My current Beyerdynamic DT150s (which I am very happy with), have a slightly boosted bass area, combined with an almost (imo) perfectly balanced treble, (very detailed and clear but not even the slightest bit harsh). This gives a strange combination of an atmospheric/warm set of cans, combined with a very elegant and detailed "edge".

So since I really like them, I'm maybe thinking of getting a "contrast set" rather than upgrading and throwing the DT150s away.

Since the DT150s are slightly bassy, and have a pretty "closed headphone" feel to them, I'm thinking "airy" phones like the AD2000s, or Graphicism's recommendation of the responsive Ultrasone HFI-780s, might be nice contrast headphones for the DT150s.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 28
In my opinion, Pro 900 and HFI780 are no where near laid-back, warm sound. I would recommend W5000 but again they are not really warm or laid-back (but very fast, detailed and good with electronic music in my opinion). AD2000 is great for fast electronic music even though they lack a little bass. If you are really looking for laid-back, warm sound then I would go with HD650 like other members recommended.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #28 of 28
Thank you for all the brilliant tips and namedrops!

I have decided (somewhat surprisingly?) to go for the Ultrasone HFI-780s. The reason for this is that I am (as mentioned) very happy with my Beyerdynamic DT-150s, so after reading a lot of other head-fiers with more experience, confirming my impressions of DT-150 as a great set of cans, I decided to go for the 780s as a contrasting pair in stead.

I have also ordered a set of AD700s just for the heck of it.

So I will explore these three sets now, and then I can consider the expensive upgrade (W5000? HD600? AD2000?) later on. So your efforts in this thread have not been in vain.
wink.gif

I hope I will settle on an ideal sound eventually though. There is an addictive spiral in this headfi business, where you automatically shape your own subjective impressions to make the next purchase feel more attractive. All in all, I just want to enjoy music, and it sucks a bit to always have more fun with music just when you have bought something new. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back