$500: Mod my SqeezeBox, or get a DAC?
Apr 15, 2006 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a SqeezeBox, hoping that I might be satisfied with the analogue outputs it provides, however I'm itching for a better source.

I don't really need the SqeezeBox as my source, as I was perfectly happy using Airport Express, and could easily go back to that and sell the Sqeezebox. Ideally, the source would have variable analogue outputs that I can connect directly to my powered monitors.

So, that leaves me with either spending an additional $500 to mod the SqeezeBox (full Red Wine mods (minus AC supply)), or around $800 to sell the SqeezeBox and get a standalone DAC (and I'd be more than happy to spend less than that!). Balanced outputs are not required, and in fact I'd prefer a purely single ended design.

Any suggestions?

Apr 16, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 4
Agreed, the AE is a perfectly good transport, especially if you have a DAC that can do a bit of jitter reduction. Its digital output is bit identical, and jitter was measured by stereophile as slightly above 200ps through a MF XDACv3. Also, I rather dislike the mac software for the sqeezebox. The iTunes integration of APX is a bonus in my system, plus now that I have a MacBook Pro with front row, the remote control advantage of the SqeezeBox is now nullified.

The Monarchy Audio DAC's seem to go quite cheaply these days, so I'm considering picking up one of those which includes an integraded line amp for my monitors.

Any more thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back