$500 IEM Purchase Help for a Reader in Australia
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Hey not at all that they are not good, just that they may not necessarily be worth the 500 dollar price tag.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I got mine for $350 so I'm golden haha, I think there worth it as much as the W4r's the W4's are a little better value till ur cable goes. Plus I already have the SE215's with an iPod cable so I'm just going to swap the cable sense its $50.
Quote:
Hudy, if you're interested in the W4 or W4R, you may want to consider the Heir Audio 4.Ai. Many consider them to be a direct improvement over the W4. I personally use the UE900 since I could not audition the Heir 4.Ai in my area.

Edit* You may also want to try and make a journey down to Jaben Australia
biggrin.gif
You could audition almost everything you could think of there.

Have you ever heard the 535's or the W4's? I'm interested in how they compare to the UE900's, I was going to get the 900's being only $400 and having the sound that I think I wanted but then I got the 535's for $350.
Quote:
Well, I've spent an absolute motsa on IEMs and accessories. I also would defend the Shure 535s. I think they are very well built and unamped are a fun IEM with great mids for outstanding vocals with plenty of sparkle in the highs (especially the red LEs, and I have both). But sometimes they can be too forward. So depending on my source I swap between them and my W4Rs. I find them just a bit muddy though and don't get the instrument separation of the Shures. Tip selection is crucial. I don't mind the olives but they are too tight on the W4Rs if you want to change from time to time. Plus you'll only find them comfortable if your canals are a perfect fit for one of their three available sizes. Mine are between the Med and Large. Mediums done seal well enough so bass is weak, and the large puts just a bit too much pressure on the canals and becomes uncomfortable after a while. I use the silicon tips that come with both Shures and Westones most. Fair isolation, good seal and can wear for hours. What would I buy if only could have one set?
I'd probably go with the W4R and a decent amp with good EQ. I use a Fiio E17. It helps me adjust bass and treble for the different source music when relaxing. Lets face it when you're on the go, you just want nice sound and a bit of isolation. The W4R are very forgiving in the isolation and fit department. And in a pinch you can either use your iPhone's EQ if needed for the genre or a 3rd party app like Bongiovi DPS if no amp.
Finally, check out Addicted to Audio for a source in Australia. They often have some good prices. I bought my SE535LE for $425 recently from them with free shipping. Also purchased from Earphone Solutions. Both seem reliable and fair pricing. Look out for ES coupon codes. Register with them to get their offers. They've had heaps of codes lately up to 30%.

You think that the RED 535's sound different than the regular ones? I know the blue 215's are different from the regulars but I thought that the 535's were the same besides color. I have read just the opposite, that the W4's have better detail and separation, I can't afford both so I just bought a pair : / I hope I like them.
Quote:
I would seriously consider including the SE535, it is a great IEM, not the most versatile, but what it does well, it does excellently. I hear the W4 is versatile but it doses nothing exceptionally well.

Again you can't really tell without listening for your self so I just gave up on reading and got the 535's because I had the 215's and I like them.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 22
I'll weigh in with a vote for the westones.  I've been impressed with both of their IEMs I've tried (w3, um3x) in terms of build and sound.   while I have not heard the w4, it seams to be very well regarded as an improved more neutral version of the w3, and is next on my list to buy.

The shure olives are a good choice as well.  Just went through a tip-buying phase and while the comply tips are nice I find the shure olives to be more comfortable and have a slightly better sound.  The large grey silicon tips that come with the westones are also nice if you don't like foam.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Hey fuzzy, thanks!
Earlier today I actually called Aurisonics and got an ear full about the excitement around the ASG-2! :)
So what is all the hype about the idea behind more is better?
Seems like plenty of 2 and 3 driver phones get great reviews, as do 4,6, and 8 driver ones?

Yeah as far as I can tell, driver count is not really indicative of performance. The optimization of drivers and crossovers, and the configurations of driver combinations play a heavier role. Heck, the single arm offerings from FitEar and Final Audio Design prove you can optimize the hell out of a driver to cover the full range

As for recommendations for the OP, I'd definitely keep an eye on the ASG-2 from Aurisonics

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Yeah as far as I can tell, driver count is not really indicative of performance. The optimization of drivers and crossovers, and the configurations of driver combinations play a heavier role. Heck, the single arm offerings from FitEar and Final Audio Design prove you can optimize the hell out of a driver to cover the full range
As for recommendations for the OP, I'd definitely keep an eye on the ASG-2 from Aurisonics

Yeah, I mean a good BA IEM needs at least 2 to cover the spectrum and adding more (dual) bass drivers makes sense but but 1-1-1 vs 1-2 vs 1-1-2 doesn't really madder.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #20 of 22
Hey everyone! Woke up this morning to find all of these replies!

Thank you all so much! Really valuable for me, truly appreciate it!

I know at some point I will go for an amp as well, but what one of you said, when you're totally on the go, I just want something I can plug and play and have confidence that it will do *most* of my music well right off the phone.

Definitely sounds like no matter what I go with I will be looking for tips! Haha or custom like one author insisted on! :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #21 of 22
Re: red SE535s vs bronze. They ARE different but to my ears not as significant as some make out. The difference is the high frequency sound signature which is slightly brighter. As I have some diminished hi frequency hearing these suit me just fine. Must say that does influence my suggestion for the W4Rs as others my find them brighter than me and plenty for many music genres.

But I DO like my Shues. And as someone said above, what they do well, they do very well indeed, but the brightness can become tiring to listen to for long periods of some music. I guess that some criticise the Westones as nothing special, I even called them a little dull, I think, but neutral sounding monitors often get this criticism, unfairly I suppose, because what they do do is let you listen to music as the creators or sound engineers intended. And that is a good thing really. You can always add/subtract bass or treble artificially if you desire a different experience, but unless your monitors are neutral, you'll never hear the music as intended because you won't be able to know what normal sounds like. Just one more aspect to this.

That's why I have several regular monitors I listen too. I can use the ones that suit my mood and music for me. Learning through reading these forums and trying different IEMs has been fun and educational. I doubt I'll ever settle on just one set to listen to all music. But if I only had one, then the W4Rs would be my choice as I said earlier.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 22
Well team, I pretty much went against my better judgement and splurged a bit...

I decided to go with the Aurisonics AS-2's, completely tricked out.  Ear impressions are somewhere between Australia and Nashville right now. Apex Glacier most likely on the way soon following the IEMs.  

Thanks for everyone's input.  Aurisonics just had too many damn good reviews for them, and considering that apparently I have a quite unique ear canal, I was worried about the fit of the ASG-2's.  As of now, I can 100% completely vouch for their incredible customer service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back