$500 for Amp+DAC for Senn HD 600's and How to connect Mojo to Adam A7x monitors
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 24
Mojo is not designed to be plugged in permanently, as it gets quite hot if you charge it while using it and there are quite a few reports of premature battery failure (after about 1 year) linked to permanently charging it. This can be easily solved though with a timed AC plug, that is set to charge the Mojo for an hour or two over night, keeping it charged, and then using it during the day powered by battery.

Regarding the connection to your speakers - no reason to worry too much.
As stated above - the "Line Out" of the Mojo is simply a preset for the amplifier to 3vrms. You can only activate it while powering on, by pushing the 2 volume buttons. But it's not even necessary, if you ask me. Power it on, push the + button until the balls light changes to blue, and you are there. I have connected headphones and my stereo system and I am not aware of any pops, only when physically making the connection while powered on could I hear some crackling.

Soundwise, if you look for analog sound I think you'd like the Chord signature.
Smooth yet detailed, warm-ish and it has that deeeeep soundstage. On my stereo system it really expands the soundstage far behind my living room wall.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 24
Tried running a Mojo constantly plugged in for a while, and it shut itself off regularly. Had to stop doing that. Further, for some reason, the line out mode was consistently quieter than my DAP line outs (Aune M1s and Fiio x1), and much quieter than my DAC outputs. I never enjoyed using it as a DAC, as I had to crank the amps to get it up to listening volume, which I didn't need to do on my other sources.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 24
Tried running a Mojo constantly plugged in for a while, and it shut itself off regularly. Had to stop doing that. Further, for some reason, the line out mode was consistently quieter than my DAP line outs (Aune M1s and Fiio x1), and much quieter than my DAC outputs. I never enjoyed using it as a DAC, as I had to crank the amps to get it up to listening volume, which I didn't need to do on my other sources.

As stated above - the Mojo gets hot when charged during use, which can lead to thermal protection shut down and premature battery aging. The Mojo case makes it significantly worse.
Simple rule: No case, charge OR use.
(For pure use in a stereo system I bought a used 2Qute --> even better sound, designed for stereo system)

Not sure what amps you are using, the Mojo is capable of 5Vrms max output, the preset for "Line Out" is 3Vrms which is on the high side, most system amps like 2Vrms.
In my system the Mojo Line Out is louder than the line out of my desktop DAC, and I actually just ordered an attenuator (reduces output by 10dB) for the 2Qute which also has the 3Vrms output, but not adjustable like Mojo

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 24
Mojo is not designed to be plugged in permanently, as it gets quite hot if you charge it while using it and there are quite a few reports of premature battery failure (after about 1 year) linked to permanently charging it. This can be easily solved though with a timed AC plug, that is set to charge the Mojo for an hour or two over night, keeping it charged, and then using it during the day powered by battery.

Regarding the connection to your speakers - no reason to worry too much.
As stated above - the "Line Out" of the Mojo is simply a preset for the amplifier to 3vrms. You can only activate it while powering on, by pushing the 2 volume buttons. But it's not even necessary, if you ask me. Power it on, push the + button until the balls light changes to blue, and you are there. I have connected headphones and my stereo system and I am not aware of any pops, only when physically making the connection while powered on could I hear some crackling.

Soundwise, if you look for analog sound I think you'd like the Chord signature.
Smooth yet detailed, warm-ish and it has that deeeeep soundstage. On my stereo system it really expands the soundstage far behind my living room wall.

I've tried searching out this Chord Signature and it appears to be a mythical creature, because I can find one instance of its existence with no picture? Any ideas?

Also my speaker setup is Adam A7X Active Powered Nearfield Monitors

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 24
As stated above - the Mojo gets hot when charged during use, which can lead to thermal protection shut down and premature battery aging. The Mojo case makes it significantly worse.
Simple rule: No case, charge OR use.
(For pure use in a stereo system I bought a used 2Qute --> even better sound, designed for stereo system)

Not sure what amps you are using, the Mojo is capable of 5Vrms max output, the preset for "Line Out" is 3Vrms which is on the high side, most system amps like 2Vrms.
In my system the Mojo Line Out is louder than the line out of my desktop DAC, and I actually just ordered an attenuator (reduces output by 10dB) for the 2Qute which also has the 3Vrms output, but not adjustable like Mojo
I was using the Mojo "line out" mode, and I know what the power output should have been, but across a Schiit Vali 1, Violectric v200, Lake People G103, Aune X7s, and MAC 1900, the output of the Mojo required me near maxing all of the amps to reach just below normal listening levels. No such issues with my DAPs or DACs, so I simply wrote off the Mojo as a DAC only.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 24
So I bought the Mojo (store demo version) and a brand new iFi Black Label.

Quick question: On the Black Label is "Normal" or "Turbo" setting best for HD600's? I've read the more power, maybe the better sound, or is Normal and Turbo at the same volume output putting out exactly the same power? So there'd be no difference? Is there any point to use Turbo with the HD600's, is basically what I'm asking. At normal I find myself at about 1 o clock volume knob wise, and for Turbo at about 10 o clock.

My very very cursory listening experience thus far is...compared to my Iphone 7...this is my first time moving from Iphone and Headroom Airhead amp to more audiophile DAC/Amps, but I've definitely trained my ears over the years, with learning and critiquing mixes on my monitors and HD600's and can fairly easily tell a difference between an Mp3 and FLAC/Wav, Spotify and Tidal, etc. based off blind A/B testing.

I don't know how much the Mojo is burned in from being a store demo, at this point from me it's maybe 10 hours or so, but the Black Label I only listened to for maybe 5 hours so not much at all, as I just got it 3 days ago, so it's right out of the box nearly.

Preliminary thoughts through headphones:

Mojo going from the Iphone is of course louder and more full, certain say guitar notes have no distortion meaning more clarity and naturalness, and there's a touch more separation of instruments. I would say a higher resolution to the audio overall, but honestly not by too much to my ears... It seems maybe a touch less airy than the Iphone, probably due to more bass/mids. It's better, but to be honest I wasn't blown away. It came off to me much like my Iphone but just louder and more full, for the most part, subtle differences excluding those two things. Perhaps it needs more burn in to really show itself off...that being said...

Black Label going from the Mojo, after making sure every little EQ/mode switch was set properly, immediately noticed a bump in fidelity, with considerably more treble detail than the Mojo, such as in vocals, as well as a wider soundstage, more airiness, perhaps more depth (?) and more power in the low end. For the song Just by Radiohead. The drum kick fill at the beginning on both the Iphone and Mojo is sort of thin and underwhelming, on the Black Label it was thick commanding and very punchy, as in, I had never heard it like that in headphones, I always thought it was just mixed that thin. Just something I immediately noticed. It's hard to say if the Mojo is warmer or not, I need to do some real A/B'ing to really hone in, but haven't taken the time just yet. However, the Black Label was definitely the next level up I was wanting from my headphone listening, at least, after this cursory listening I've done thus far. To me a very noticeable and worthwhile change, fidelity and detail wise, and even with the low end. I'm still remembering what the vocals sounded like on I Am the Walrus (by that one band The Beatles, I think is how you spell it) and the fidelity and crispness and clarity of them, I could hear the exact vocal effect/EQ/distortion that was used, in a way I'd never heard it. I was hearing certain fluctuations and crystalline shimmers in a certain bass synth (Myxomatosis by Radiohead) that I had never heard or would have expected to be there. It's little things like that, that just kind of threw me for a loop, in a great way.

Have not tried the Black Label through my AdamA7x's yet (which are usually going through my Line 6 Guitarport), though the Mojo I did, and from what I can remember I couldn't tell much of a difference other than similar to the Iphone comparison I heard no distortion on certain guitar notes, and maybe a very very slight bump in resolution. But now I also am remembering I did *not* plug them in with the line out level setting on...after all that...jeeze. So that was coming out of the headphone setting, not sure what that might mean or be lacking.

All in all I'm very excited to get back to the Black Label and do some more critical listening, the Mojo seems like it's going to be sold. That's just initially how I'm feeling. Love to know you guy's thoughts and comparisons between the two.

Also probably planning on picking up a pair of HD800S' s in the coming months, unless yall have better recommendations to check out for the price range.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #22 of 24
I'm happy for you that you've gotten something you like! :) 50 hours break in is about a good place to start making comparisons..100 is better. Weird changes can happen.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #24 of 24
Or use some crappy earbuds lying around, or buy some.. I'm not familiar with the Turbo terminology, but channel balance will tend to be poorer the lower the volume control is set, so you might want to start with the black label set up so the volume is at the 1 o'clock position instead of the 10 o'clock. If both sound pretty much the same at the headphones it's probably just a gain switch. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back