500$ Desktop setup for gamer/bass lover
May 11, 2015 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SyDroX

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Due to my recently deceased headset I decided it's time to get a(dare I say) high-end setup for my PC.

My budget is up to 500$, I will be using this setup for gaming and sorts of music genres(sorry I really can't say anything specific since I listen to virtually everythin). I do like to hear a strong bass and this is the setup is I came up with
with:
Cans:
Beyerdynamic Dt990 600ohm
Dac & amp:
Schiit magni
Schiit modi
Or JDL labs o2 dac & amp combo

This totals at 500$(ish), I can get the Dt990 and the JDL labs o2 locally so it will cost 500$ for both thanks to a friendly favor, while the Schiit will have to be shipped to Israel(I just read that lol).

What do you guys suggest?
go with the Schiit or JDL?
Or with something completely different?

Feel free to suggest anything just bare in mind that shipping is possible and for a reasonable price.

May 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 22
That's a great setup. I don't see how you could go wrong with either choice. :)

Thing is, I found a few negative feedbacks regarding the JDS labs having a bit of distortion, plus the sheet specs of the JDS labs are less impressive (except the safety feature).
However I can get the JDS labs locally thus making it easier in in terms of warranty and shipping. Can't decide with what to go

May 11, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 22
Thing is, I found a few negative feedbacks regarding the JDS labs having a bit of distortion, plus the sheet specs of the JDS labs are less impressive (except the safety feature).
However I can get the JDS labs locally thus making it easier in in terms of warranty and shipping. Can't decide with what to go

You can find negative feedback on the Modi/Magni as well. People often argue over which is better, so best to see them as comparable in sound quality. :)

Yep. The Modi/Magni does have the edge in overall power; whether or not that matters would depend on your listening volume. The Modi/Magni has the edge in ergonomics to me, too (I think the ODAC/O2 front interface is a little crowded). On the other hand, the ODAC/O2 is transportable (it would fit in a laptop messenger bag), and of course the ease of returning it if you found a problem since you would be buying it locally. I'd probably look for impression/owners threads on Head-Fi for the DT990 600 ohm and ODAC/O2 to see if anyone is using them together (google with head-fi as a keyword).

May 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 22
I have the Magni/Modi setup with the DT990 250 Ohm and can say it sounds fantastic. The soundstage with the Modi and the DT 990 is incredible. My only complaint with this setup is the treble can hurt my ears on certain songs, although this problem may not arise with the 600 ohm version.

May 12, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 22
I've read some more reviews regarding the DT990's.
I stumbled across the recommendation of a tube amplifier - claiming it producess a "warmer" sound.
In that case, should I consider getting the Schiit Vali? is it sufficient to drive the 600 ohms(I don't listen to loud music)? 

May 12, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 22
You might like the DT990s better with the Vali; you might like them better with the Magni. It's a personal preference thing.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 22
So I've got the schiit stack M2&M2 paired with the DT990s 600ohm.

I must say I am very disappointed. Coming from a closed headphone, it feels like there is NO bass whatsoever.
Am I gonna get any better bass from them after a so called "burn in period"? or should I just return them?

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 22
I am not familiar myself with those headsets/headphones.

But the measurements show the Q460 to be a very bassy headphone in comparison to the DT990:

That's a lot more bass emphasis.

But you might as well give the DT990 a try for a few days and see if you grow to like them (which is often the benefit of headphone burn in).

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 22
I am not familiar myself with those headsets/headphones.

But the measurements show the Q460 to be a very bassy headphone in comparison to the DT990:

That's a lot more bass emphasis.

But you might as well give the DT990 a try for a few days and see if you grow to like them (which is often the benefit of headphone burn in).

True, according to the graph the bass is better, but for example when I listen to Ed Sheeran - bloodstream (feat Rudimental) 
there is a really powerful low bass hum at around 0:45-1:00, with the Siberia, Q460 and Adaro, at high volumes i felt like my skull is getting crushed.
While with the DT, true the bass is present but isn't as punchy and deep.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 22
According to the graph, the DT990s would not be better than the Q640s if you are looking for heavy bass. You have to look at the bass relative to the other frequencies for each headphone. The fact that the DT990 is above the Q640 on the graph doesn't mean it has more bass.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 22
Closed headphones are going to be reflecting sound back into your ears. This makes things sound closer together, but it might also result in a stronger bass response*, or a stronger perception of bass*. Whether this translates to "better" bass is also an open question.

If you really just want a basshead headphone, you might need to find that thread and see what people are saying. It could just be that open headphones are not in you presents tastes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

*I'm not an expert, so I may be completely off in left field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back