~$500 Class A Headphone Amps
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2020 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

rmsanger

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new HP amp and potentially DAC to pair with my LCD-X, LCD-3F, and HP-3s preferably a Class A. I'm hoping to target the $400 - $600 range with minimal preference toward New/Used and ambivalent about a built in DAC or pre/amp functionality.

So far I've been able to come up with the following list:

1)Audio-GD NFB-1 - $485+shipping
Link
Review

2) Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U+ DAC/Amp - $420
Link
Can't find a review

3) RebelAmp - $499
Link
Review

4) Audeze Deckard - ~$500 Used
Link
Review

Does anybody have experience comparing these or have cross-shopped them in the past? Any other suggestions in this price range that I should add to the list of researching?

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 34
Asgard 2 or 3 is a decent choice from Schitt.

Thanks Frank! I like Schiit an am happy with my Lyr/Bifrost combo with some great tubes to add some variation to the presentation. I'm looking for a bit higher end sound/presentation to provide a contrast to the schiit sound; hence looking for class A. Just not certain the Asgard fits the bill even though they advertise it as a AB hybrid. The guys at ASR aren't impressed with the TDH and other measurements of the Asgard.

If I went lower on my budget I'd probably go with a SMSL SP 200.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 34
Oh extremely sorry did not know Asgard was not fully class A.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 34
Oh extremely sorry did not know Asgard was not fully class A.

No worries man, the schiit advertising isn't always the clearest. The Asgard is similar to their speaker amp Aegir where it switches from Pure A class -> AB after a power threshold has been reached. Their products are good but above a certain threshold don't measure well from a THD perspective.

Appreciate the input!

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 34
As far as I know the Deckard isn't produced anymore, so you will only find used ones by now

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 34
I like Audio-gd products so match, very competitive in that price rage, I have NFB-1AMP (HE-mod). Also perfect amps make Flux Lab Acoustics, but price a little bit higher ))
Wow those flux lab amps look great! I might have to check out the 10 or 12. I’ve never heard of them before. Do you have one?

I’ve had the nfb1.. great amp. Wel worth the money, def hits above its weight class. Audio gd makes some great products. I currently have the HE9.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 34
I’ve had the nfb1.. great amp. Wel worth the money, def hits above its weight class. Audio gd makes some great products. I currently have the HE9.

Absolutely, I've had HE9 few years ago ))

Wow those flux lab amps look great! I might have to check out the 10 or 12. I’ve never heard of them before. Do you have one?
Yes I have, I am Flux Lab fun since 2016, my first amp from them Solid One, but now I have Atlas at home. But new FA-10 and FA-12 real great amps. I listened both. So if you want to receive more accurate bass with great speed and textures you should to take FA-10, but comparing to FA-12 it will sounds a little bit dryer. FA-12 - sounds in a bit different way, it has darker background, deeper bass response, it is much full bodied but just a little bit slower than FA-10.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 34
Absolutely, I've had HE9 few years ago ))

Yes I have, I am Flux Lab fun since 2016, my first amp from them Solid One, but now I have Atlas at home. But new FA-10 and FA-12 real great amps. I listened both. So if you want to receive more accurate bass with great speed and textures you should to take FA-10, but comparing to FA-12 it will sounds a little bit dryer. FA-12 - sounds in a bit different way, it has darker background, deeper bass response, it is much full bodied but just a little bit slower than FA-10.
The fa12 is the one I had my eye on. Sounds like much more my sound preference. Although I think the fa10 might drive my lcd4 a bit better.. it’s a difficult choice.

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 34
Interesting I'll have to research Flux labs a bit more; never heard of them. There is a limited amount of data OTF about them.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 34
The fa12 is the one I had my eye on. Sounds like much more my sound preference. Although I think the fa10 might drive my lcd4 a bit better.. it’s a difficult choice.

FA12 also better for me - it give reach high-end sound, but FA10 is more precise. Different sound, but for hard to derive headphones of course better choice is FA10, I've tried it with Susvara - perfect!

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 34
FA12 also better for me - it give reach high-end sound, but FA10 is more precise. Different sound, but for hard to derive headphones of course better choice is FA10, I've tried it with Susvara - perfect!
Did you try the Susvara on the 12? I know it’s not a suitable amp for the Susvara, but just curious how it handled extremely difficult loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back