$500 CD player with good integrated headphone jack?
Mar 4, 2006 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
My current CD setup is a Sony PCDP (D-NE920) line-out into a home PIMETA w/TREAD. I've recently been using full-size component Denon and Tascam players in a studio, and realize that these sound considerably better.

If I sold off my current gear, I could realize close to $400. Just wondering if there is a good full-size CD player, which has a headphone output at least equal to a PIMETA with ad8620/10 op-amps, and costing around $400-$500?

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
My current CD setup is a Sony PCDP (D-NE920) line-out into a home PIMETA w/TREAD. I've recently been using full-size component Denon and Tascam players in a studio, and realize that these sound considerably better.

If I sold off my current gear, I could realize close to $400. Just wondering if there is a good full-size CD player, which has a headphone output at least equal to a PIMETA with ad8620/10 op-amps, and costing around $400-$500?

Buy a used DVP-S7000 or S7700 for under $250 and have someone swap out the opamps in the headphone section with 8620s. That's what I did in mine and it sounded acceptable enough. While they're at it, you mght as well replace the analog line out opamps with something good as well. I put 627s in mine. They're all esily accessible enough because the entire analog board can be removed very easily and is separate from the rest of the player's pcbs. You won't find build quality at this level for $400 new, I'm sure.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 5
The new Marantz looks like it could be a screamin deal. I've never heard it, but the specs look pretty great and so does the deck itself. Take a lookey look:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1154.asp

And it ususally retails for $299 instead of the $329 on Marantz's website.

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm smacking myself now cause I just realized I could keep the PIMETA, and get a decent full-sized source for $100-$200 (something like a Toshiba DVD player).

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 5
You could if you look hard enough. There's always bargains to be had if you're patient. The PIMETA is going to be better than just about any headphone amp in a cd player. There's also the computer-as-source and older DAC option which you could consider if proximity permits. That is something I would do if I was in a small space and had the right setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back