$500 Budget Portable Rig - Want suggestions for an accurate, balanced IEM with a decent amp
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I just had one lingering question about amps. In the case I get a good IEM and purchase an amp later down the road, does it matter which one? I read in a Fiio E11 review that it does not do particularly well with bass-heavy IEM's. Is this true for other amps as well? (e.g. Amp A is not compatible with Headphone B)

Here are two great Resources by Clieos if you are interested in getting an amp. Plus if you got any questions, he will help you out. He's helped me out in getting my first amp but yeah, it's better to get an iem first before deciding on getting an amp. An iem will be the biggest step in SQ, next would be an amp if you feel it's necessary at all.

If your budget is $200 and under.http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

If your budget is $100 and under.http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 23
Most IEM's will sound fine straight out of an iPhone 4/4S. I pair my Vsonic GR01 with my iPhone 4 and i honestly can't imagine it getting much better than this. I never exceed the halfway mark on the volume control so there is plenty of power on tap to power these.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 23
With an IEM, amps normally aren't needed.  The iPhone can actually drive most IEMs pretty well.  There are some new IEMs coming on the rise:
  1. Heir Audio 3.Ai: triple BA IEM with a fun signature.  I'd pass on this and go for the 4.Ai if you want to go Heir.
  2. Heir Audio 4.Ai: quad BA IEM with a more neutral signature
  3. Denon AH-C400: dual driver IEM from Denon.  Not much is known about it. 
  1. Logitech Ultimate Ears 900: quad BA IEM with unknown signature.

Other common ideas include something like a W4/W4R or even an Etymotic ER4. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Oh snap, are the UE 900 out already?

You can pre-order them.  One person on Head-Fi has gotten their hands on them.  I will be getting mine Tuesday (fingers crossed) or Wednesday :) 

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #23 of 23
So a friend gave me a pair of Ultimate Ears TF10's and I bought a pair of Miles Davis Tribute for around $100. 
I have an iPod Classic and most of my music is is 320 kbps or ALAC.
I was wondering what Fiio amp or any other >$100 amp would have good synergy and work well with the Tributes. Thanks guys. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back