$500 Budget Portable Rig - Want suggestions for an accurate, balanced IEM with a decent amp
Aug 31, 2012 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

AccioHeadphone

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi,

I have been a lurker for a few weeks now but I have finally got around to making an account. I've had my fair share of dynamic headphones (usually bass-heavy, or fun type sound signatures) , but I've never used an amp. Even when the headphones would require a lot of power. Since then, I backed away from all the audiophile stuff and have been just listening and enjoying with what I have. Now, I am craving for something a bit better. I got a bit over $500 dollars from a summer job and I was wondering what was a good setup I can get with that money.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Decent Portable Amp (I've been thinking about the Fiio E11)
-BA IEM meant for serious listening (balanced, accurate, yet engaging) 
I listen to all sorts of genres so I am looking for some IEM's that will give me how the recording was originally intended to sound. Although, it doesn't have to be too analytical as I don't listen too deeply when I am simply enjoying music. 

I've been eyeing the Heir Audio 4 Ai.'s, Westone UM3X's, and Audio Technica CK10. Please let me know your reccommendations and thank you very much.

Justin

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 23
Hi Head-fi,

I have been a lurker for a few weeks now but I have finally got around to making an account. I've had my fair share of dynamic headphones (usually bass-heavy, or fun type sound signatures) , but I've never used an amp. Even when the headphones would require a lot of power. Since then, I backed away from all the audiophile stuff and have been just listening and enjoying with what I have. Now, I am craving for something a bit better. I got a bit over $500 dollars from a summer job and I was wondering what was a good setup I can get with that money.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Decent Portable Amp (I've been thinking about the Fiio E11)
-BA IEM meant for serious listening (balanced, accurate, yet engaging) 
I listen to all sorts of genres so I am looking for some IEM's that will give me how the recording was originally intended to sound. Although, it doesn't have to be too analytical as I don't listen too deeply when I am simply enjoying music. 

I've been eyeing the Heir Audio 4 Ai.'s, Westone UM3X's, and Audio Technica CK10. Please let me know your reccommendations and thank you very much.

Justin

Better get Grado GR10 instead of UM3X

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 23
What's your source? I would wait for Fiio to release their E12 Amp probably gonna be in the $150 price range. Also you should keep a look out for the Vsonic GR08(dual BA+ Dynamic) that should be releasing something in October with a price around 320(could be comparable to the AKG 3003 that sells for over 1k :O) which getting both will put you at below the 500 dollar range. Also keep a look out for the ASG2

Well besides the stuff i mentioned that aren't even out yet. The ER-4P is a popular choice with a 94% accuracy score according to their website. CK10 is very good choice too though i got only a brief listen from a friend. From what i remember is had great treble and decent bass.

Well good luck on finding an iem, i hoped i helped a little haha

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 23
Be sure to get the Line out cable for your IPhone 4S when pairing it with an amp. I too am playing the waiting game
popcorn.gif
(Fiio E12+Vsonic GR08
beerchug.gif
), hope the wife don't kill me after i get both lol.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 23
I will recommend the JDS Labs C421+ UE900 (upcoming), GR07 or UETF10Pro willbe detailed, balanced yet offers good punchy bass and overall engaging sound expereince

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 23
The JDS Labs C421 is better sounding AMPs compared Fiio E11, E17(i compared them all myself) because it offers much cleaner yet coherent sound experience with better imaging, better bass response, more soundstage and better mids, highs.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 23
In my opinion, on a limited budget I'd say put the most you can in to the IEM's and forgo the amp. An amp is a nice thing to have but not a necessity for most IEM's and I personally don't think the sound quality increase of adding a portable amp to an iPhone is worth the added bulk.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
In my opinion, on a limited budget I'd say put the most you can in to the IEM's and forgo the amp. An amp is a nice thing to have but not a necessity for most IEM's and I personally don't think the sound quality increase of adding a portable amp to an iPhone is worth the added bulk.

Agreed. Start with a good IEM and work your way back.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for the advice guys. I just had one lingering question about amps. In the case I get a good IEM and purchase an amp later down the road, does it matter which one? I read in a Fiio E11 review that it does not do particularly well with bass-heavy IEM's. Is this true for other amps as well? (e.g. Amp A is not compatible with Headphone B)

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 23
There's potential compatibility issues between some headphones and headphone amps that have an output impedance greater than 1 ohm. Other than that it's more of an issue of personal preference, for instance, one particular amp may be on the warm side so for some it might not make the best pairing with a warm headphone.

I've used a few portable amps in my time, by far the best for me was the HeadAmp Pico Slim, it's quite small, sounds awesome and has an absolutely brilliant volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back