$500 Budget - Over-Ears for Office and Racing Games
Aug 18, 2020 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kelvinator88

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm from Australia and would greatly appreciate some help in finding a good fit for my first premium pair of headphones. Here are my priorities in order.

Uses:

Office - Both working from home and in my regular office I sit close to people working 8+ hours. So I need something that drowns out external noise, doesn't leak sound excessively for co-workers, and are comfortable.

Gaming - Racing games on my Xbox One with a Logitech G920 racing wheel. I'd ideally like to be able to use my headphones for sim racing so my girlfriend can have some peace and quiet. Don't need a mic as I race offline.

I also play atmospheric games both in the horror and puzzle genre. For reference: The Witness, Limbo, Inside, Cry of Fear. Having headphones to really immerse myself in these games would be very cool.

Portability: I like going for walks at lunch and listening to music/podcasts whilst I do various daily chores like cooking and cleaning. Wireless would really help for this but if audio quality suffers too much then I'd prefer to put up with a wire.

Headphone Attributes:

Sound Quality, Comfort, Build Quality/Warranty, Portability.

Devices:

Dell Laptop, ROG Phone 2, Xbox One, can get my old LG V30 out if the inbuilt DAC is worth using. Also willing to incorporate a DAC/AMP into my budget but don't know much about this area.

Current Earphones:

• Beyer SoulByrds (Like the sound profile and appreciate the flat design for listening in bed)
  • Soundmagic E80C (I think these were a bit more "fun" than the soulbyrds and they sounded really nice on my V30. Sorry for the unhelpful comparison, not too experienced in audio but willing to learn. I think the E80C were more punchy and felt more immersive than the soulbyrds? But the soulbyrds sound more balanced to me? I like both but I'd pick the E80s if I had to.
Music I listen to:

Deep House, Synth-Pop, Trap, Indietronica, Indie Rock, Chillwave for work, a little bit of various metal and pop genres

Options I've found so far:

• Sony WH-1000XM4s ($350AUD)
  • AKG K371 ($190)
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro ($230)
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ($190)
  • AKG 702 Pro - ($190)
  • Bowers & Wilkins P7 - ($350)
  • Sennheiser Momentum Wireless ($470)
Thank you!

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 5
I mostly use the dt770 for gaming because its closed back. I play fps so the leakage is critical and great imaging.

I have akg712 good for gaming but open back. I also have t50rp good for gaming. I just prefer close back for gaming.

all of these fit your budget.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 5
I mostly use the dt770 for gaming because its closed back. I play fps so the leakage is critical and great imaging.

I have akg712 good for gaming but open back. I also have t50rp good for gaming. I just prefer close back for gaming.

all of these fit your budget.

Thank you for your feedback!

The DT770 seem like they could be a very good option for me, especially like that they are closed back as I think this will help with passive isolation for gaming and the office.

The AKG712 I did look into, but I think unfortunately I can't get away with open back headphones so it rules them out as well as the Sennheiser HD6XX and HD5XX :frowning2:

Hadn't heard of the t50rp so I'll look into those, cheers.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, for when you need to block noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back