$500 bookshelfs - Paradigm, JM Labs, Wharfedale, NHT - I need help.
Mar 27, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry to post another thread, but realized after settling on the Paradigm Mini Monitors, that could afford to get the Paradigm Titans.

These retail for $500 dollars which opens up a lot of new speaker opportunities. I will be using these in a small room with a Pioneer Elite 2-channel amp with the setup in my sig.

I'm looking at Audio-advisor's offerings. Locally, I can get Paradigm and Focal Jm Labs speakers. These are the only brands I can demo.

The hi-fi shop doesn't have the Titans in stock, but I loved the Mini Monitors over the Atoms (both the newest v.5), though each were quite good for the price.

The only JM labs to demo are currently the JM Labs - Focal Cobalt S 806. These are a little pricey. I listened to them briefly and they sounded amazingly detailed, and clean, without much punch or authority. I only listened for about 3 minutes, so take that comment for what it is worth.

Recommendations are appreciated, but I need to be able to purchase the speakers online or through a local dealer. So audiogon and ebay speakers are an no.

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 31
Are you going to run this system from a soundcard, and an Ipod? Where will you be placing these speakers? Can your existing system be played loud enough with your Pioneer Elite 2-channel amp? What kind of sound are you looking for that is different from your existing speakers? Is selling your Infinity speakers, and Pioneer Elite amp an option to create finances for more power?

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 31
My pioneer amp is more than capable, and I would use my current DAC with lossless audio files as a source. I usually have the volume knob turned about a fourth of the way. Half way is enough to hurt my ears.

I want more detail, and just overall better speakers than the infinities. After hearing offerings from Klipsch and Paradigm, I know there is benefit to upgrading my speakers.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 31
Do they have to be "pretty"? If you are hot for detail and accuracy, I'd check out the Ascend CBM-170SE's. I'm currently using them as rear surrounds in my living room with there bigger brothers as my mains, they are probably some of the most neutral sounding speakers I've heard (but hey, I'm no expert) and the level of detail is incredible. I use them for movies and for 2.1 music...love them to death. Just a plain black cabinet though, no pretty veneers here, hence the "pretty" comment stated earlier.

Also, AV123 is supposed to be unleashing their new X-series speakers (hopefully soon) and they are supposed to be killer as well.

Oh and for the record I came from a 2.1 setup consisting of the V.4 Paradigm Mini-Monitors.
biggrin.gif

Good luck!
Andrew

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 31
I will probably wait 3 weeks before making a purchase. I plan on demoing more speakers in the meantime.

I hope by then the new AV123's are out along with more Paradigm V.5 reviews.

Mar 28, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 31
not only are new x series speakers coming out from av123.com, but they are also releasing a budget reference series bookshelf at the end of april. looks really promising too.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 31
Mar 29, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 31
I love my JM Labs speakers (in my sig). The bass is actually pretty good and they were recommended by Stereophile for people who like music with a lot of drums. You can pick up a used pair for about $300 and you can save the left over money for a better amp to drive them.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 31
Axioms, I have the M3ti and absolutelly love them, customer service is top notch as well, and very personal, they at least return phone calls, and asist you in any little detail, I love to be treated like a human being, by a human being, and like an special customer...They give you all that, and 5 years warranty for a very modic price...

For reviews look here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...mmillennia.htm

http://www.mastersonaudio.com/audio/20010815.htm

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/axiom_m3ti.htm

Some curves:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...ts/axiom_m3ti/

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 31
Should I consider buying speakers that I cannot demo? I know AV123 allows a 30 day return policy, so I consider that a sort of demoing.

In the next few weeks I will try to spend a lot of time with the Paradigms and JM lab offerings.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 31
Ive bought and returned speakers from them before. No problems at all. I also ordered a b-stocl cd player from them and it came defective. No problems getting a brand new replacement from them at no additional cost. They have some of the best customer service in the industry.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would get monitor audio RS1s

The same place that carries paradigm has Monitor Audio speakers. I thought they were out of my price range, but I was wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back