$500-550 trance headphone recommendations
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dimisam

Head-Fier
I have a pair of partial markl modded woodied D2000s (rear dampening mod and tapered stuffed earpad mod). They sound very good with a lot of genres, but are lacking in the genre I mostly listen to- trance. They are sibilant to me on the "s" and "t" and closed high hat sounds with trance. Their bass is also slightly lacking for this genre. I might sell them and use the money to buy a more trance attuned phone. Any recommendations in the $500-550 price range? I will be amping my phones with a headfive using a 5.5 gen ipod as a source.

Cheers

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go...Ultrasone, You can start with, HFI-580, up to PRO-900...

Thanks for the suggestions Acix. Are either of these headphones sibilant to your knowledge. I was going through 1 thread and there was a complaint about sibilance in the pro-900. Comfort and fit wise- how are they? Are they engaging or laid back, I found the Denons a tad laid back without a decently high volume.

Cheers

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 23
the 780's are sibilant but it is most certainly becoming less so with burn in (mine have had roughly 200 hours, but made massive changes in the past 50)

the 780s are very nice. the bass is jumped up a bit and very deep, and the highs are also raised. the mids are slightly recessed, but mine are still burning in. to get the best out of them im fairly sure the amp will be needed, because even going from my ipod to my laptops sound card i can head a definite increase in quality and quantity in bass.
i listen to a lot of dance, R&B and dubstep, along with some trance, and they sound very good with these types of music. sometimes the highs are a bit much, but thats certainly on its way down with the burn in. FWIR the PRO series are less silibant right out of the box, and are more analytical overall, with more detail.

have a look at the ALO modded 780's and edition 9's. not sure if your budget will get you them, but they solve the problem with sibilance and are meant to sound better overall.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 23
What you are looking for is a tough combination I think. Strong bass seems to be frequently accompanied by strong highs in most headphones. The phones where that is not the case the phones are oftentimes pegged as being "laid back" (so not fast responsive so might not handle fast paced music like trance). The first category you can think of Beyerdynamics, and the second category you can think of Sennheisers.

I think that some will argue that the HD650s arent laid back and it is either a highly propagated "myth" or that they just arent being pushed by the proper amp. Im about 60-70% trance myself so Im in a similar boat but Im finding that the HD650s have been great so far to the task. If they had the tiniest bit more high presence and low presence, they would be perfect IMHO. Good luck!

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 23
I enjoy my 770s on Trance a lot, especially since they underperform on highs which I often find are overdone on trance.
If you arent of that ilk, I also enjoyed the AD700.
my 2c

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbs love the avatar

Thanks XD Gotten nothing but compliments. Maybe I was too worried about it bothering someone
beyersmile.png

I dont know how the D2000s are as far as sibilance is concerned but I have read that the DT770s are harsher with their highs than the D2000s are. Ive had my DT770s (in sig) longer than my HD650s and I liked them a lot for trance. The mids werent as forward as I would have liked and the highs seemed fine at the time. The bass was excellent.

When I got my HD650s I realized how harsh the highs on the 770s actually were. Not toooo bad mind you, but definitely some discomfort. I like the definition of the bass in the 650s in trance but I do miss a bit of the impact and how far down the frequency the 770s went. I have a DAC/amp on the way
beerchug.gif
so hopefully (and very likely) both of these impressions will change since all my phones are being driven from my XFi or my Mini3 ATM.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony SA5000 will do the trick for you
smily_headphones1.gif
Or the HFI-780.

I've been getting a lot of HFI-780 recommendations. Is the ultrasone HFI series better for trance than the pro series?

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you are looking for is a tough combination I think. Strong bass seems to be frequently accompanied by strong highs in most headphones. The phones where that is not the case the phones are oftentimes pegged as being "laid back" (so not fast responsive so might not handle fast paced music like trance). The first category you can think of Beyerdynamics, and the second category you can think of Sennheisers.

I think that some will argue that the HD650s arent laid back and it is either a highly propagated "myth" or that they just arent being pushed by the proper amp. Im about 60-70% trance myself so Im in a similar boat but Im finding that the HD650s have been great so far to the task. If they had the tiniest bit more high presence and low presence, they would be perfect IMHO. Good luck!

Was just qoing to say bollocks then I understood that you do not question the authority of guy with AH jamming avatar
tongue_smile.gif

Probably enjoyd HD650 the most with trance and funk when I did own it. Now listening trance with A900 and what it lacks in bass ammount it definetly gains it in toe tapping ammount. There is allways the EQ possibility.

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any one recommend terminator Darth Beyers for trance and a non-sibilant sound?

I would not recommend using the Darth Beyers for trance...

The bass was a little too much for my tastes...They are excellent for movies and gaming though
L3000.gif

I am using the HD650 and am in love with them...Other have said that the SA5000 provide excellent speed attack for trance...I never went for them because I was afraid that the sound may be a little too fatiguing...

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not recommend using the Darth Beyers for trance...

The bass was a little too much for my tastes...They are excellent for movies and gaming though
L3000.gif

I am using the HD650 and am in love with them...Other have said that the SA5000 provide excellent speed attack for trance...I never went for them because I was afraid that the sound may be a little too fatiguing...

Damn, I wish I could try all these phones out but alas... I read on another thread that the SA5000 has weak bass and could be fatiguing. What phones in your opinion have a "speaker like" engaging sound with no sibilance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back