50 W soldering iron ok?
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Halvor

New Head-Fier
In the tutorial at tangensoft.net, he recommends a soldering iron in the 15-30 W range. I can't find any that looks ok and at the same time doesn't cost way too much, or are too cheap (at webshops in Norway).

I have found this soldering iron. It's a 50 W Velleman station with adjustable temperature from 175-480 degrees Celsius.

Will this do? I'm going to build stuff like b22 and gamma1 + more DIY projects I'm sure

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 10
1: start with a simple SS amp. Pimeta/PPA/M3, etc. and work your way up

2: get a regulated/temperature controlled iron. Applies all 40W when you need heatttt, stays at whatever temp you set it to. is nice!

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, I'm starting with a millett max and some other projects first, but b22 wil be the main goal, so I need something good for that.

The question was if 50 W is too much? And if the soldering iron I linked to looks okay

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halvor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm starting with a millett max and some other projects first, but b22 wil be the main goal, so I need something good for that.

The question was if 50 W is too much? And if the soldering iron I linked to looks okay

No, it's not too much. Make sure the tips for the station are easily found.

Personally I don't like bulky handles, but for the price that station costs you cant ask for much.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 10
The AOYUE looks more solid (Velleman kinda looks like a toy, weird), can't really tell you if it is better, never had the Velleman, I have a AOYUE 2900.

With the AOYUE you do have many tips to choose from, that much I know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back