50+ Rocker
Sep 30, 2004 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

caveman

New Head-Fier
I recently started to build a CD library from CD's borrowed from the library. I have kids and borrowed some from them too. Wow I started to listen to Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More and Incubus any many more. How fantastic this music is.
What's the point you say, well I'm in my 50's and I's supposed to sensible and behave myself. I thought good rock was dead and buried and having discovered this I can't resist just whacking up the volume ( I'm already halfdeaf from my adolescence). Problem is the wife is not in tune with my new tastes.
What's the answer? Any other ageing rockers who've rediscovered rock music. I call it rock as I'm not au fait with the modern genres.

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 12
The amazing thing is my youngest lad of 22 and even since he was 14 has appreciated the stuff I cut my teeth on. For example Led Zepellin, Cream, Bowie and lots more of my 70's rock he really loves. The beautiful thing is he buys all that stuff on CD, which with being remastered is really great sounding (maybe not to the audiophiles out there).
My problem is that he has introduced me to such great bands as I have said before Faith no More and Pumpkins and many more. Trouble is that stuff is 90's what is the latest of the same ilk.

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 12
Caveman,
You would probably like Audioslave. They are three parts Rage Against the Machine (Tom, Brad, and Tim) and one part Soundgarden (Chris). Also Black Label Society, Zakk Wylde's crew, are just pulverizing. A few more you might want to check out:
Disturbed
Tool
Down
Corrosion of Conformity
Union Underground
Dream Theater
Lamb of God (a little heavier)
Slipknot (Vol.3 The Subliminal Verses is favorite album this year)

Let me know if you like any of these.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 12
One of my fav current rock bands is Gov't Mule. Started in 95 it has Warren Haynes and Allen Woody from the 90's Allman Brothers lineup and Matt Abts on drums. Their first two albums rock hard and have the classic power trio sound(Cream, Mountain, Hendrix etc) On their third they brought in more guests in and the sound got a little more commercial but still rocks. Allen Woody died in 2000 I believe and the current lineup adds Danny Louis and Andy Hess. They just released a new ablum Deja Voodoo and I think it is very good, but for new fans I recommend the first two studio albums and the live albums Live With A Little Help From Our Friends(4 cd box set) and The Deepest End. Any fan of the blues\power blues\jam band\hard rock sound should really dig Gov't Mule.

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 12
It just occurred to me that the rock music world hasn't really gone anywhere in the last 40 years. I say that as a 53 year old with lads at home in their twenties, one of which can't get enough of my "old" music.
For example Cream - Badge, Led Zep - Dazed & Confused, Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water. I could go on and on. Point is he loves this stuff as much as I like his Pumpkins, Chillies etc.
It's refreshing that we have something in common and rock music (or whatever genre you place it in) bridges our generation gap.
What of your old music do your kids like? And don't dare say "The Monkees"

Oct 9, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 12
My 23 year-old daughter seems to have drifted to the mellow side of my classic rock stuff. CSNY and their derivatives (their solo stuff, Buffalo Springfield, etc.) has caught her attention. Very cool.

Oct 9, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 12
My younger son, aged 25 years, is really in to music older than me.
icon10.gif

Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Chubby Checker all that sort of stuff.

My older son likes AC/DC, so I supplied him with CDs of them. He introduced me to Rob Zombie, who I like real well.

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, I'm 27 and love lots of the old stuff - Zep, Doors, etc. I also LOVE alternative rock from the early 90s on up. Also old stuff by the Kinks, Ramones, etc.

Anyways the point of my post was to second the recommendation of The Kings of Leon album. I listened to that album non-stop for a month. One of the few good recommendations from Stereophile in the last year. It's so raw and bluesy you just can't help but thinking "wow I'd love to see these guys live" everytime you listen to it. Just amazing the talent those young guys show.

-Jason

Oct 9, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm sorry, what was the question again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back