50 coolest song parts
Jun 5, 2004 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
I apologize if this has been posted already, but I thought it was very cool. Pulled this off fark.com. The main synopsis is just as the title reads, it's the parts of songs that people deem the coolest... Agree/disagree?

50 Coolest Song Parts
http://www.retrocrush.com/archive200...ngs/index.html

And I'm all for #1..
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 21
Pretty cool list, if you don't mind my saying so. I have a couple of my own, but I'll come back later...

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 21
I have some that I think belong on the list:

The drums kicking in on "Second Home by the Sea" (Genesis – Genesis)

Piano/bass intro with guitar riff on “Monkeyman” (Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed)

Guitar riff on "Stray Cat Blues" (Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet)

The opening of “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes” (Paul Simon - Graceland)

Choral singing on "The Only Living Boy in New York" (Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water)

The opening build to “Backstreets”, or the closing of “Jungleland”, both of which have some very nice piano work (Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run)

The build to the power guitar chords in "Fake Plastic Trees" (Radiohead - The Bends)

There is, of course, some other good stuff on the list - my favorites:

Love “The Immigrant Song”…the way it kicks in with the guitar riff and Robert Plant’s wailing voice

Under Pressure – When Freddy Mercury really kicks off the song with his wailing “Why…why…whyyyyyyyyy” amidst a torrent of drums, pianos and guitars.

Opening riff to Purple Haze is awfully cool….
biggrin.gif

Bass plucking at beginning of "Baba O’Reilly (The Who - Who's Next)

Great list...thanks for posting the link!!

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 21
The Who! They rock, gotta check this out!
orphsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 21
Ooh, I have a good one for that list. The part in "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand when the drums start to slow and the awesome guitar riff kicks in. Awesome 'part,' so to speak.

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 21
You can flame me for this, and I know it prob would never make the top 50 list, but one of my favorite parts is still Christina Aguilera's song "Infatuation" off her Stripped album at time marks 1:23-25 ish and 1:43-1:45 ish when the bass goes super low. Still gives me the shivers.

If I play the song and I can't hear it, the whole experience is ruined.

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 21
My first vote goes to the top gun anthem. The intro part that has the percussion and bass, which then goes into that classic guitar riff is awesome.

After that, I would go with eye of the tiger with that intro part. Whenever I hear that song, I just feel like rocky (especially when I'm working out). Come to think of it, gonna fly now with the horns intro is also pretty neat.

I don't know that I would call it a cool song part, but the buddy rich solo in channel one suite is one of my all time favorites.

Jun 5, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 21
That was a pretty interesting list - I particularly agreed with the B-52s "Rock Lobster", especially Fred's observation of "all the crazy sea-life" towards the end of the song. Not only are the vocals/backing vocalisations hysterical, but the guitars really hammer down on an awesome groove. Top stuff!

One that I would love to add is kinda daggy, but it always puts a smile on my face. It's John Bonham's little (or big, as it were) kick-drum 'embelishments' all the way through "Ramble On". I don't know what it is, but they have always appealed to me and, I suspect, always will
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 21
That's a fun list with a lot of songs I love on it. And their #1 choice is very cool, for sure. I would have put the Vincent Price rap from Thriller a lot higher, personally.

A few of my coolest song moments that didn't make the list:

Pink Floyd - So many possibilities here, how could they not make the list?

Steve Miller - Space Intro (to Fly Like an Eagle). OK it's an entire track, but still an intro. Immediately recognizable and very cool.

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland. Whole song is fun, but the part I'm thinking of is where the band breaks out and the Big Man jumps into a beautiful sax solo. Piano part sprinkles back in on top of it and the band jumps in accompanying the sax.

B52s - Love Shack. "Tin roof, rusted!"

Arrested Development - Mr. Wendel. The crazy voice thing. If you know the song, you know what I mean.

Mariah Carey - Emotions. "You make me feel so High." It's kind of a Minnie Ruperton moment.

Van Halen - Jump. Organ intro and guitar solo.

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 21
General -- I actually agree with quite a bit of these.

Blue Oyster Cult -- I love the description of the guitar solo

Metallica -- would have chosen either the opening of, or the part in the video when the truck runs over the bed of, "Enter Sandman".

Chris Isaak -- when he sings that long held note in "Wicked Game"

Led Zeppelin -- so many: the opening to "In The Evening", the part in the live version of "Dazed and Confused" when he audibly pulls out a violin bow and starts playing the guitar with it (or maybe he just turned on the flanger, I don't know -- it's noticeably creepy); "Baby I'm A Gonna Leave You" -- the part right after the rising notes and they hit together and Plant sings "Baaaaaaaaaabe" that obviously borders on the murderous...puts Jim Morrison to shame...plus most of "Whole Lotta Love"...

Rush, "Limelight" (as in, the beginning of), when the guitar sounds like it's playing in one rhythm, then staggers into place when the drums start playing...

Yes -- the opening backward piano chord followed by a very simple acoustic guitar note- and-chord sequence...

The drum solo in "Wipeout"

The sudden abrupt ending of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

Another Heart one: how about the huge drum break in the middle of "Mistral Wind" -- effin' bril to put it at the end of a side of record that was otherwise "delicate" pieces (the sides of the record were titled "dog side" and "butterfly side")

How about some synthy ones:

The opening riff of Mongoloid (Devo) (not pure synthy, but...nevertheless)

Art of Noise, the opening moments of the "Into Battle" EP...

The opening wall of synth swirls of Alan Parson's Project, "I, Robot" (for that matter, "Electro Lux Imbroglio" by Steve Miller Band from Book of Dreams or "The Message" by Styx from Pieces of Eight or the intro to "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osborne)

Thomas Dolby, "One of Our Submarines", right after the anti-climax, there's a really cool drum break

The Cars, "Shoo-Be-Do" (the whole thing), "Moving In Stereo" ("it's all...inside...you..." -- heavily effected), "Dangerous Type" (that high held note at the end while the rest vamp around it)

Howard Jones...I forget the song, but I think it's the title track of "Dream Into Action" -- there's a very cool drum break

Billy Thorpe, "Children of the Sun" -- the introduction with the electronically effected drums

Kraftwerk -- right at the end of numbers, they're turning into a jumble -- just lots of numbers being said in bunches of different languages over a very hypnotic funky drum beat -- all of a sudden, the riff for "Computer World" kicks back in, and they transition into "Computer World Pt. 2" (reprise-wise)

Mike Oldfield, "Five Miles Out" -- right when everything drops down (audibly the eye of the storm), "...our hope's with you, rider in the blue..." -- never fails to bring a tear to my eye

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 21
Maybe not good enough for the list, but i love that dual guitar solo in the middle of Iron Maiden - Flash of the Blade from the powerslave album. Am I alone on this?

Jun 7, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 21
yes-> seen all good people, when the organ comes in

radiohead-> paranoid android, when that guitar hits the second time out of nowhere and drops them into complete rocking

#1 tool -> the grudge, the build to where maynard starts screaming into the climax/ending. Gives me shivers just typing it, so incredibly rocking.

Jun 7, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 21
Just past 3:45 seconds into The Whole of the Moon (Mandy Moore - Coverage album) Mandy seems to crack a big smile and almost laugh, it's simply adorable...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Led Zeppelin -- so many: the opening to "In The Evening", the part in the live version of "Dazed and Confused" when he audibly pulls out a violin bow and starts playing the guitar with it (or maybe he just turned on the flanger, I don't know -- it's noticeably creepy); "Baby I'm A Gonna Leave You" -- the part right after the rising notes and they hit together and Plant sings "Baaaaaaaaaabe" that obviously borders on the murderous...puts Jim Morrison to shame...plus most of "Whole Lotta Love"...

Very individual/personal but I think my all time fav Zep 'opening' is for 'Achilles Last Stand'. It could continue a bit longer though. I'm advising Jimmy
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back