$50: Best Noise Isolation IEM's
Jun 21, 2014 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

music101

100+ Head-Fier
It would be a real luxury to use an IEM with excellent noise reduction/isolation, but with very good or even excellent sound quality. Is this combination possible at this price point?

I've seen the etymotics recommended for excellent isolation: 32 to 42 dBA noise reduction. However, they seem not to get the best reviews for their sound quality.

I use my philips she's from time to time now, but my guess is that they only offer, say, 12 to 15 dBA noise reduction.

IEM's like these seem like a terrific value:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-EREK-5-BLACK-Safe-Listening-Headset-/dp/B005TOV0OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403330288&sr=8-1&keywords=etymotic+kids

But I'm sure you guys have lots or at least several recommendations on IEM's with comparable noise isolation yet with better SQ?

I have a preference for a V sound signature but not to any extreme degree.

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Etymotics are highly regarded on their sq, the er4`s are beloved by many, isolation is second to none, not sure if the ety kids are any good though, but you cant go wrong with that isolation atleast. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah the 30 dBA+ noise reduction rating is impressive.

The kids model came up randomly in a 'best of' list in a quick internet search.

$40 isn't too bad; I suspect they might occasionally go on sale as well.

Any other recommendations welcome. It seems like ety's offer the best isolation at this price piont however.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 9
There's also the new budget phone from Shure at $49 dollars as well.  Rated at 37 db.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Shure SE112.  Not much info about but they are the model below the 215's.  No real accessories apart from the usual s/m/l tips.  Not even any shure olives included.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks.

I did a quick search for reviews, and this particular model gets middling reviews for sound quality.

I like the ety's so far: excellent noise isolation, volume limiting feature, decent to good reviews for sound quality.

How about this: are ety tips compatible with my philips she 35xx's?

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 9
You can get he shure se215 for around 60 on black Friday sales at earphonesolutions, I owned the er4s and have the se535s and I find the shures to isolate about the same if not a bit more , plus the olives are comfortable and they have vastly less microphonics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back