~$50 Amazon Earphones
Oct 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cool8t

New Head-Fier
Hey There, I just received a $50 Amazon Gift Card, and I've been debating over what I should use the money on. I've already decided on spending 10 dollars of it on a new itouch case and LCD screen protector. So that leaves ~$40 for a quality pair of earphones. 

After a lot of Google research, I've found two worthy options:
• The well-balanced and high quality Yuin Pk3 earphones
• And the extremely comfortable Meelectronics M9 IEMs

The most important factor in my decision of earphones is how perform with my music. I enjoy listening to Hip-Hop and a little bit of Jazz. My favorite artist is the hip-hop producer Nujabes, so it is essential that the earphones work well with his works. From what I can tell his music is not that bassy (for hip-hop that is) and that the mids "steal the show".

Some of Nujabes' best work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwRGPxCG_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0kuoiAm2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1GM8Qf6t8

And some more Q's to throw at you guys:

• Are the m9s the best meelectronics IEM for less than $40
• Are there better IEMs <$40
• Do the Yuin PK3s work well with Hip-Hop and Jazz

BTW please don't recommend Open Headphones, because I like to listen to music in the public. 

Thanks So Much,
Cool8t 

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 16
Why not think of the gift card as a discount and buy something a little more expensive/better 
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 16
Meelec a151. I've had it for about a month, the only phone I've been listening to since then, and even though the it's not mid forward as you would like, it's performs great across the entire spectrum. I've only used single flanged hybrid, and the isolation is good enough that I don't get annoyed by the wind when I'm walking around...and the build quality on the cable looks pretty solid.

It seems like A151 is pretty well-liked around head-fi also, it was a pretty solid investment for me.

I got mine for about $40, but it's 48 right now on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-A151-BK-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B004OBZ2XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319417413&sr=8-1

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 16
You can get the SoundMagic E10's for $35 shipped on Amazon.  |joker| gives them a very favorable rating in his multi-iem thread.  I just recently picked them up and they are quite astonishing for such little money.  Very good bass punch with nice sub bass and an overall clear sound.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Meelec a151. I've had it for about a month, the only phone I've been listening to since then, and even though the it's not mid forward as you would like, it's performs great across the entire spectrum. I've only used single flanged hybrid, and the isolation is good enough that I don't get annoyed by the wind when I'm walking around...and the build quality on the cable looks pretty solid.

It seems like A151 is pretty well-liked around head-fi also, it was a pretty solid investment for me.

I got mine for about $40, but it's 48 right now on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-A151-BK-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B004OBZ2XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319417413&sr=8-1

Thanks for your input! However, I'm sorry if I made it seem like I am pro mids because I'd really prefer a well rounded and balanced sound. Unless someone suggest that my music interest is better suited with a stronger bass, mid, or treble. The 151s seem like a viable option, but because they are almost over budget, I'd only consider them if they are considerably better than the m6s or m9s. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

Thanks for your input! However, I'm sorry if I made it seem like I am pro mids because I'd really prefer a well rounded and balanced sound. Unless someone suggest that my music interest is better suited with a stronger bass, mid, or treble. The 151s seem like a viable option, but because they are almost over budget, I'd only consider them if they are considerably better than the m6s or m9s. 

The 151's will probably be too analytical for your genre, even though that's a killer price.  The m9's sounded really, really bassy to me.  I had them and returned them in favor of the m6, which is more balanced with plenty of bass w/o being overwhelming.  I don't know what the m6 goes for nowadays, but for a long time they were on sale nearly everywhere for $13-18.  I think the MSRP is only $50 or so.  They're underpriced, IMHO. I definitely think they're better than the m9s, regardless of any price difference. You may want to look at those Soundmagics as well.  From what I've heard, they're real sleepers. But Meelctronics is first rate company and I definitely recommend them.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Wow thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone! From all of the information given, it seems like the Meelectronics CW31 are the most balanced and cheapest IEM for my budget. So I guess it's down to the Yuin PK3s and CW31s.

Does anyone have any input on the Yuin PK3s?
•How bad do they leak?
•Is the bass to weak for Hip-Hop?
•And would they sound good with Nujabes music (links in my first post)

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Wow thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone! From all of the information given, it seems like the Meelectronics CW31 are the most balanced and cheapest IEM for my budget. So I guess it's down to the Yuin PK3s and CW31s.

Does anyone have any input on the Yuin PK3s?
•How bad do they leak?
•Is the bass to weak for Hip-Hop?
•And would they sound good with Nujabes music (links in my first post)

Thanks.

I've owned several pairs of PK3's, but I'm giving up on them. They sound fantastic with plenty of bass (for my tastes anyway) after a bit of burn in and get better with the use of an amp. However, every pair has developed a loud buzzing after only a few months of regular use.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 16
After some more research I've decided to go with IEMs as the Yuin PK3s are not very durable, have bad customer service, and don't isolate.

The Brainwavs are out because the M1s are sold out a.t.m. (I'm to impatient to wait =P)

The Soundmagics, Dunu Tridents, and Meelectronic M series are eliminated due to weak mids and too much bass.

So that means I'm done to the Meelectronic clarity series. 

The CX21s and CW31s are the cheapest versions: 

• The CX21s have a quick and "punchy" bass with sparkly highs and neither forward nor back mids.
• The CW31s have a more extended bass but is slower and has a softer impact, mids are similar but are warmer and sweeter, the highs roll of gently but less "sparkle"

The CC51s and A151s are the more expensive versions:

• The CC51s are very balanced with a slightly boomy bass and the trebles are a slight step back from the presentation. The CC51s excel in their warm and sweet sound signature)
• The A151s seem to be slightly mid forward (positive IMO) the bass is a tad bit slow and the treble is clean and highly detailed. Warm and sweet like the CC51s

I got this info from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549816/review-meelectronics-cx21-cw31-cc51-and-a151

Okay so from the info it seems like the A151s are the most balanced and richest. However im not sure if I would be able to tell much difference between them and the cheaper clarity products. So I'm likely going for the CX21s or CW31s

IT seems like the CX21s are more balanced and detailed while the CW31s are warmer and smoother.

So for hip-hop music with emphasis on mid's with a substantial amount of bass and treble here and there which IEM would work the best! Thanks 

Edit: If I get the CX21s then i can get a case + LCD protector and KSC-75s for under $50!!! Does this sound like a good deal, i could use the ksc-75s for at home and i enjoy modding stuff.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
really? how much is it to ship from us to uk? i could try and help you out

Thanks, but even if I order a pair from the us i still get charged with customs :frowning2:

at the end i found a pair of m6 at 30$, i needed a pair of iems since i couldn't stand a full pair anymore outside.

look, it's ridiculos!
A151
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-A151-BK-Balanced-Armature-Headpho/dp/B004OBZ2XQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319535590&sr=1-10
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-A151-BK-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B004OBZ2XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319535606&sr=8-1

:frowning2: soon i will get it anyway, just to see if i get charged when they're in europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back