5 reasons why you shouldn't miss the Sony MDR-MA900
Jun 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 26

I was hoping that the above stays secret!  I'm hoping to stock up the mreaining low-priced MA900s
wink.gif
.  Also I have a cousin in Germany and he could ship it to me for free.

Well I kept it secret until I had confirmation my ones were sent
atsmile.gif

And your Profile name is quiet ironic as I got them sent to - and forwarded by - ... my boss! (actually he is the boss of my boss) How cool is that !?
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #18 of 26

did u try it ? did it fit ? did it change the sound ?

The Shure pads fit perfectly. For the fun I also tried to put the HM5 pads I had on my Renkforce CD340 and they fit too (just don't be afraid to pull the pleather, and yes, if you do so the HM5 pads might not fit HM5s anymore).

For the sound I cannot say as:
1/ I am at work so the environment is too noisy and I can't put the volume as loud as I would like
2/ both Shure and HM5 have a foam layer in the center that I don't want to cut, and as I am ok with the Sony pads I don't plan to put the "driver covering" away.

At least you know that some options exist. I will probably test and evaluate the change in sound with these pads (Shure and HM5) without any mod and AB them with the stock pads as I have two MA900s just to see to what extend the high frequencies are affected, but for this you will have to be patient as I don't really have time these days. I have holidays in September and unfortunately I am not sure how much time I will have before.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #19 of 26

The Shure pads fit perfectly. For the fun I also tried to put the HM5 pads I had on my Renkforce CD340 and they fit too (just don't be afraid to pull the pleather, and yes, if you do so the HM5 pads might not fit HM5s anymore).

For the sound I cannot say as:
1/ I am at work so the environment is too noisy and I can't put the volume as loud as I would like
2/ both Shure and HM5 have a foam layer in the center that I don't want to cut, and as I am ok with the Sony pads I don't plan to put the "driver covering" away.

At least you know that some options exist. I will probably test and evaluate the change in sound with these pads (Shure and HM5) without any mod and AB them with the stock pads as I have two MA900s just to see to what extend the high frequencies are affected, but for this you will have to be patient as I don't really have time these days. I have holidays in September and unfortunately I am not sure how much time I will have before.

thanks for the reply..... which pad do u recommend ?  the SRH940 or HM5 pads ?
i need to buy one of thses xD the only thing i hate about ma900 is the pad lol

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #20 of 26
Jun 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #22 of 26
that looks incompatible with ma900... shure pads you posted above is oblong shaped while stock ma900 pad is totally round shaped.

The shape doesn't matter. As I already quoted I am using HM5 pads (oblong) on CD340 (round), and before that, I was using the SRH940 pads on the CD340. The pads are flexible and the shape "adapts".

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 26
I finally did not go for the Shure Alcantara as I got used to the MA900's fabric. The MA900 are still my favorite headphone btw... even if they are (or at least look) fragile. The sound is just everything I like.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 26
Pity #5 is no longer true. Cannot find them anywhere. I was goign to get one for a friend.

Any recommendations of something similar?

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 26
There isn't anything really similar. This is why it is so sad Sony stopped making these. It is really difficult to love Sony. They keep letting their fans down by stopping some products even when they are successful.
Most of the other headphones will require an amp. If the amp is not an issue, maybe the Sennheiser HD-600. But the price tag will be higher. Also, Drop have some HD58x and HD6XX for 170-200 Usd.

The MA900 are still my most used open back headphones to this day. TO THIS DAY!!!😭
Both pair still work fine. I had to change the pads on one of them and "cooked" the cable to coil it. If I would replace them it would probably be with the HD650 or HD6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back