5 reasons why you shouldn't miss the Sony MDR-MA900
Jun 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

tussinette

100+ Head-Fier
Sony MDR-MA900: why you shouldn’t miss these

1/ because “lachlan“ likes them LOL
2/ because they are probably the most comfortable headphones money can buy
3/ because they have been developed not to require an amp
4/ because they might be the last of a kind / or maybe precursors, who knows…
5/ because they are only 124.95 EUR on amazon.de

The two first points don’t need much of explanation, do they? So let’s have a look on the other points, shall we?

3/ because they have been developed not to require an amp
Many head-fi'ers will not appreciate this point but there are moments when I appreciate enjoying a good SQ without amp (actually always as I don’t want to use an amp).
The reason is pretty simple, when I am home I jump from the computer to my PSvita and then to my Sansa Clip+. There is no space for an amp in the way I am using my audio devices. Actually, the only place where it would make sens would be at work. There at least I stay at one spot.
So let’s say I would have an audiophile spot in my flat to use an amp, there would still always be room for at least 1 pair of headphones to jump from one device to another. And this is where the Sony MDR-MA900 nails it: they are the lightest, most comfortable and easiest to drive pair of headphones I can think of.

4/ because they might be the last of a kind / or maybe precursors, who knows…
I think they will have a place in history but only time will tell. The reason I think so is that these headphones are the result of a pretty old and rudimentary technique called acoustic damping.
Sony used this technique for a very simple reason: it works great to get rid of peaks in the FR curve. This was used a lot in the past 20 years but less and less, and even if some people think that Sony did it this way to save on costs, I think that the other companies use this acoustic damping tuning less and less for costs reasons. Less and less used… by the big guys in the business but in the same time we see small companies emerging (MrSpeakers for example) that don’t do something else.
Personally, I see the MA900 as some kind of missing link between these vintage “big corporations” headphones and these new “tweekers” start-ups.

Oh yes, did I tell you that you can find them for 124.95 EUR only on Amazon.de. I simply cannot think of more underrated headphones. If you are looking for a versatile, high SQ, easy listening and extremely comfortable open headphones: hurry up and get yours, two of these are already coming my way.

atsmile.gif

P.S. Please note that (in the typical stupid Sony style of killing their product lines every 2-3 years) these are discontinued which can make it difficult to get replacement parts in the future. This might also have an impact on their price once people will realize what these are really worth. Once again, time will tell...

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 26
Answer was in my PS :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 26
Actually I believe they have been out of stock in most stores for a few months but I am not convinced they are discontinued.

1. I spoke with Sony rep at Tokyo spring headphone festival who had no official word but said not to be surprised if the MA900 returns. The Sony display table did not have the MA900 on display, however

2. Largest headphone store in Tokyo (world?) e-earphone still has the model on its racks although it is marked out of stock with no restock date. They had no opinion on the future restocking prospects

3. Major electronics chain in Tokyo still has it on display and a few in stock although at nearly 30.000 yen. It was also in the store's April catalogue (Sony likely paid for that placement although the flyer might have been printed in February). The store clerk said his computer indicated the would be restocked in a few months.

I think it is a smooth and enjoyable headphone. Very comfortable and a great value.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 26
30.000 yen? Maybe I should order a third pair...
basshead.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 26
Why is this shouldn't rather than should?  For those reasons I would think they should be missed.  You state these are great sounding, very comfortable, sound great out of whatever source and affordable.  I shouldn't miss them?  Huh?  If sarcastic, was done terribly.  Also enjoyed a few of lachlan vids on youtube, he does as good of a job as any youtube reviewer including Inner Fidelity.  If not better since I think Tyll's hearing is going.  Also like that lachlan is very clear, it's what he likes or dislikes.  It's simple.  And an Asian with aussie accent?  Brilliant.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 26
  Why is this shouldn't rather than should?  For those reasons I would think they should be missed.  You state these are great sounding, very comfortable, sound great out of whatever source and affordable.  I shouldn't miss them?  Huh?  If sarcastic, was done terribly.  Also enjoyed a few of lachlan vids on youtube, he does as good of a job as any youtube reviewer including Inner Fidelity.  If not better since I think Tyll's hearing is going.  Also like that lachlan is very clear, it's what he likes or dislikes.  It's simple.  And an Asian with aussie accent?  Brilliant.

The beauty of double-meaning words my friend... I do MISS mine, and it's quite tempting for me not to MISS the opportunity to reprucahse a possible future collector's cans at a nice deal as presented by the OP. And i would've done so already if not for owning the MDR-F1 and PFR-V1, both worthy collector's items in the own right.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 26
I've owned over 180 headphones/iems in the past few years (including the F1) and I've since got rid of everything except a few loyal budget pairs. I've been away from Head-Fi entirely for a few months, and haven't bought a single headphone in the longest time (which is a shock). If I were to ever get back into the hobby, or if I could only purchase one pair out of all the ones I've had in the past, it would be the MA900 without question. I'm still teetering on the fence about whether or not to purchase them again, but for now, I'm fine with what I have. But the MA900's are truly something else, and I hope more than anything that Sony either creates a worthy successor, or keeps the MA900 in production. But one things for sure, I have my suspicions that I"ll cave in at some point and get another pair for permanent keeps. It's a headphone worth keeping, that's for sure...

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 26
  And i would've done so already if not for owning the MDR-F1 and PFR-V1, both worthy collector's items in the own right.

If you have the MDR-F1, you SHOULD absolutely adopt its natural child! Don't you dare splitting the family! 
beyersmile.png

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 26
Shure HPAEC940 (Replacement Velour Ear Pads for the SRH940) should fit. I will try and let you know as I have a pair of these laying around somewhere...

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 26
  But the MA900's are truly something else, and I hope more than anything that Sony either creates a worthy successor, or keeps the MA900 in production.

On store.sony.com they are referenced as Discontinued and no successor has been annonced. Hence my order of a backup pair.

Sonyyyy, pleazzzz.. I beg you on my kneeeeezzzz, don't kill Laura Palmer!!! Sorry, I mean the MA900!!! 
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 26
MA900's death was greatly exaggerated.

http://pur.store.sony.jp/Qnavi/Purchase/MDR-MA900/

Other sony regional sites say ma900 is discontinued, but It's still kickin' in the JDM market! It ain't over until the link above says "seisan shuuryou".

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 26
Do you mean 生産終了
confused_face(1).gif
 I will have to check on a regular base then... :)))

and thanks for the info!

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 26
Originally Posted by tussinette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was hoping that the above stays secret!  I'm hoping to stock up the mreaining low-priced MA900s
wink.gif
.  Also I have a cousin in Germany and he could ship it to me for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back