5 Players Enter, 1 Player Leaves (NAD M5, Simaudio SuperNova, Accuphase DP-75, Audio Research CD7, Arcam CD36)
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by parablue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will refrain from making a final decision as I have yet to audition the recently released ARCAM FMJ CD37 CD/SACD player.

An arcam FMJ SACD player.. incredible .. Any idea about how much it is retailing for ?

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 26
HiWire,

You might want to check out the Cary 306 SACD as well. The Cary sounds great and was everything the reviewers said.

cary 306

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiWire,

You might want to check out the Cary 306 SACD as well. The Cary sounds great and was everything the reviewers said.

cary 306

And now Cary has the newer version SACD306 Pro, which unfortunately costs $8K. Price them high, and they will come.
Cary Audio Design

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now Cary has the newer version SACD306 Pro, which unfortunately costs $8K. Price them high, and they will come.
Cary Audio Design

Yep. The 306 SACD Pro might be the best one book CD/SACD player out there. I just got the 306 SACD myself and I agree with everything that the reviewer talk about in the review. Really superb bass response with excellent resolution and details.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by parablue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will refrain from making a final decision as I have yet to audition the recently released ARCAM FMJ CD37 CD/SACD player. I believe that an ABA test between it and the NAD M5 would be a more apples to apples comparison worthy of the two manufacturers premier decks. Until then.

Wow Arcam has been busy lately! First their FMJ MS250 music server, this FMJ CD37, and I now see an FMJ CD17 on their Web site! I thought Arcam was getting out of two-channel to further its HT line?

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #22 of 26
Apparently not. Their HT lineup appears to be doing well enough, but there will always be a group of hardcore audiophiles demanding stereo hardware. The FMJ CD37 looks promising, but I'd rather have multi-channel output from an SACD player.

Here are some initial impressions of the FMJ CD17:

ARCAM FMJ CD17 My Review - AVForums

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #23 of 26
Since these reviews have purchased the NAD and it's grown on me. I'd recommend a longer-term taste test (if possible) before making a decision between these decks; I find the M-5 pretty wonderful over a very wide range of music types. There may also be a Wadia in my near future but the NAD will still be around. I run it through an Eddie Current Zana Deux (SE) and the NAD M3 (XLR), with which it is a particularly good match. I would also consider your choice in context with the rest of your system. I find it very difficult to evaluate sources in a vacuum, but maybe that's just me. We should bring this thread current with some of the new decks that arrived in the last few months. Best, -Tim

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 26
There is a thread at AVForums discussing the Arcam FMJ CD37 vs. CD36 question here:

CD37 vs CD36 - AVForums.com

Regarding the question of newer disc players - it's probably best to start a new thread. This thread was a short synopsis of my listening impressions of players available to me in two brief listening sessions at two stores. It certainly would have been nice to include other "hot" players of similar intent and price range in the review - the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C, Marantz SA8001, and Rega Saturn come to mind immediately.

Personally, I'm a little miffed that the CD37 was released so shortly after I purchased the CD36. I was definitely interested in SACD playback when I made my decision and decided to go for Redbook playback as a priority. There is a possibility that the CD37 is a lateral rather than purely progressive step in sound quality - the lower list price(!), stereo-only output, and reviewers' mixed impressions have dampened my initial enthusiasm for the CD37 as the ultimate digital source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back