5.5gen Imod w/ modded Yotank attached PICS!!!
Jun 16, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 29
Thanks for the compliments, guys. It really is a great setup. I just want to let everyone know that if you are looking into getting this type of setup with the yotank and everything, it's not a lightweight. I kind of knew that when purchasing everything, but it really didn't register until I lifted it all together. Needless to say it's not very pocket friendly. But it will withstand being run over by a jeep. The ipod that is... I'm not sure if the Tomahawk was tested by Ray with a Tomahawk, or the super cotton dock was blessed with super powers by Ken... But everything combined makes a great sound, though, if that's not super enough.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imod is a must. Your are missing ooodles of details with the e500's thought. Especially with a cotton and imod combo. Have you tried with and other cans or iems yet. I think you would be shocked at what else your system is capable of

I thought the e500's were as good as it gets with detail. I'm still new here, but still open to the possibilities of having a different set of cans. What am I missing. I don't have to stick with IEMs, so what do you recommend? Is this the curse of head-fi that I've read about?

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im just wondering, would normal people actually notice the difference?

With the headphone out remaining standard on the new iMod 5g one can do a quick check and see the difference quick easy.

P1020014.png

P1020022.png

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet rig. Are you overexposing the pic or whatever the right term is? That green seems a little bright
tongue.gif

I simply brought the image into Corel Paint Shop resized it, click on Express Photo Fix and took the defaults. I just did a gray image of another picture I did here.

P1020019_gray.png

P1010009_fade_corrected.png

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't this what the "pictures of your portable rig" thread is for?

I can removed them if they are inappropriate.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by deza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the e500's were as good as it gets with detail. I'm still new here, but still open to the possibilities of having a different set of cans. What am I missing. I don't have to stick with IEMs, so what do you recommend? Is this the curse of head-fi that I've read about?

At 7 posts we welcome you with open arms but you have been cursed. You life now revolves around had-fi and your wallet will always be empty. The good news you toy box will continue to grow and grow and grow!!! LOL!
blink.gif

In all seriousness you have some nice Iems there but uinfortunatly their biggest down side is details. The highs are very rolled off meaning that the upper frequncies are cut and are not fully extended.

The imod have many great advantages that youdef will hear with your e500's I am not putting them down. These are just facts. It never ends trust me you could get custom Iems for Westone or UE that would open up a whole new world to you or a reasonbly priced Senn HD600 which you can find used around $150.00 would give you a good place to start to hear a liitle more of whats on top.

If you find you dont like the Senns they will sell for what you paid in a matter of days maybe mins.

I recommend these as they were recommended to me as my first full size can. They are pretty neutral and accurate and a great place to start.

If you decided to go Custom or wait for the Westone 3 to come out which is rumoured to have a nice extended register as well as good Bass but I have not heard them yet.

I own UE-10 pros which are UE's current top of the line and there is a UE-11 coming out in maybe 6 months but probably longer IMO.

The UE-10's are molded right to YOUR ears and fit only you. They have 3 drivers in each ear and are QUITE IMPRESSIVE. Thats an understatement!

Your Shures do almost everything right IMO and for most peoples rigs spending more money on UE-10's would be a waste again IMO.

With yor current rig the skys the limit as to how far you wanna go an how much MORE you want to spend. The good news is your IEMS are your weakest link!
blink.gif

I know that doesnt sound good but trust me it is!

Your close to audio bliss may as well go the rest of the way! or at least experiment with some other IEMS, Cans if not fo the experience of see ing what else your iMOD is capable of.

Sorry about your wallet!!!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet rig. Are you overexposing the pic or whatever the right term is? That green seems a little bright
tongue.gif

The flash was on in a couple of the pictures which made the green Tomahawk bright. I also have clear packaging tape over the Tomahawk to protect it from scratches which, furthermore, brings out the color.

slwiser, you have a nice setup there...same ipod, and dock. You just have a different amp and headphones. I wonder if I should start off there.

trose49, I really do have to agree with you, unfortunately. As much as I love the Shure e500pth, I notice it really is the weakest link in my system. Not just in the sound, but the durability. I just noticed that my cable on the Shures seems to be picking up static mostly on the left channel if I move it or shift it slightly close to the output on the tomahawk. I wonder if my cable is going bad or I have to have it recabled or something. I just got it last March! Geez!

Anyway, if I'm looking at a full size set of cans, I can actually demo a few good ones at the Sam Ash down the street where I live. They actually have the Ultrasone that slwiser has, some AKG, and others. The Virgin Megastore 10 miles down the road has some Grados and Senns. Does anybody know if I have to change my Tomahawk for a full size set of cans? Or can I just switch it to high gain?

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by deza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T Does anybody know if I have to change my Tomahawk for a full size set of cans? Or can I just switch it to high gain?

Most have found that the high gain will run just about anything well. I wouldnt worry there.

Hell my Hornet will run 600OHM Beyer DT880's.

I would def send the shures back for a replacement they are good about warranty stuff or so Ive read.

If you decide to upgrade you will have a brandy new pair to sell and get a good some good money for.

Might me able to buy two sets of cans!!!

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im just wondering, would normal people actually notice the difference?

Difference between what? An iMod with or without a modded Yotank?
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Difference between what? An iMod with or without a modded Yotank?
tongue.gif

I was assuming he was thinking iMod differences, sorry if I missed the focus on the Yotank? This suggests I did not notice it then if the Yotank was the focus of the post?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back