5.5g Imod quit running. Now What?? Pt 2
Dec 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
I had posted this about a week ago, and thought Vinnie and other posters had me all fixed up Did the "restore" thing and all was well.

It just happened again. thing froze as I walked around the house. then, set it down for about 1/2 hr and started up again.

Know nothing about the guts of these things, so have no idea if it's hardware or software problem.

So here's the question: if my Imod is dying, where do i go now?? Ipod Classic?? Ipod Touch?? Really don't need all the frills in the Touch because all I'm interested in is quality music. Think I remember somewhere on here Ken of ALO saying he liked the sound of the Classic.

Advice would be wonderful and much appreciated. Already have emailed Vinnie to see if he has any ideas, but am preparing for the worst.

And if the worst occurs, have a wonderful ALO Jumbo Cryodock for an Imod for sale!!!

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch that sucks lol. Based on the 4G Nano and 2G Touch SQ thread, the 2G Touch has excellent SQ, but I'm not sure if that's through line out or HP.

Yeah I'm scrolling thru Ken's various posts on the ALO site here and he sorta loves the Itouch. But now I gotta buy the cabling specifically for the Itouch?? O well, it' s only money!!!

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Another Imod'll be a great choice

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not give up on the iMod! I would try one mere tim in upgrading the software, then do a restore. If you give up give it to me! :)

Upgrading software??? What do you mean??? When I go on the Itunes site, I'm running the current software. Wy would another "restore" do any good?? Now thinking it might be harddrive. Anyway, I've contacted Vinnie to get his opinion--again--and we'll see where we go from there.

And yeah, I'd love getting another Imod; last I checked on the ALO site, they're all sold out and what they offered were refurbs. Mine was brand new with supersized battery installed by Vinnie when he did the Mod.

Almost crying just thinking about this loss. O well

As i was typing, I had the thing playing--it plays rather intermittently if I put it on a table--and suddenly, stopped playing Miles Davis and reverted back to the starting menu where you see "Music" "Playlist" etc. Now I'm almost convinced it's harddrive. But dunno.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Ditch the iMod. Get some money out of it, buy some better earphones or whatever for your home rig. Portable rigs can only do so much. Might as well get a Dell Mini 9 and use an USB DAC Amp to get even better SQ.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would contact Vinnie. If I'm not mistaken, the iMod warranty is lifetime. You just pay the cost of any replacement parts.

X2, not much to loose. As far as the software upgrade I did not know you had the latest software installed, although I have had a re-install fix a problem w/ a previous iPod. Good luck.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 13
yeah, vinnie emailed me and said send it back. So back it went today. Hope it's only the harddrive. Hate to buy a whole new Itouch or Classic with all new ALO cabling. OUCH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back